Converting Oliver 70 to 12 volt

Forum for the discussion of Oliver related topics.

Converting Oliver 70 to 12 volt

Postby Powerwag70 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:04 pm

I have a 1938 Oliver 70 that had been converted to 12 volt using an alternator. I need a wiring diagram as several gauges, etc. had been disconnected. I’m NOT an electrician and have very little experience tracing electrical systems. I need to see original wire placement and instructions on how to complete the 12 volt conversion. My tractor also has a distributor and not a magneto. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Powerwag70

Re: Converting Oliver 70 to 12 volt

Postby Peugeot rider » Wed May 16, 2018 10:51 am

Is the system not working, or are you just installing it? As far as gauges, only the ampmeter has electricl wires hooked it, unless it has had electric gauges added. On the amp gauge one terminal has a wire that goes to the terminal on the starter switch that ha the battery cable hooked to it. Every thing else goes on the other terminal. If the gauge reads wrong switch the wires on the terminals.
What type of altenator are you using. Is it three wire or just one wire? As far as the distributor goes a ignition resistor needs to be put in the line from ignition switch to the coil and hooked to the + terminal on the coil. Electronic ignition could also be used. It gives a hotter spark and almost mantainence free.
Gary
GL
Peugeot rider

Return to Oliver Forum