The Election for Vice President

Forum for the discussion of matters relating to the HPOCA.

The Election for Vice President

Postby Westville1 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:17 am

It is reasonable to assume that as a Board member the current VP participated in firing Sherry. Before I send in my ballot, I'd like to hear from the other candidate, Dean Smith, on what his position is on firing Sherry.
I don't know what others may decide, but unless a real explanation is forthcoming before December 15 I won't be voting ever for any of those who participated in that vote.

ONE WAY TO GET THE BOARDS ATTENTION IS TO SEND IN BALLOTS MARKED FOR THE CHALLENGER. THIS IS NOT AGAINST JIM MUHS PERSONALLY. IT IS AGAINST THE BOARD'S DECISION THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN THEIR ACTIONS TO THE MEMBERS
Westville1

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:19 pm

Hey Westville1,
Have you noticed, all of this controversy is contained in the state of Illinois, pronounced ill-annoys. I wonder if this is coincidence.
Andy

Postby 98dba » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:48 pm

Hey Andy,
I have a story for you:
Once upon a time in the Kingdom of heaven, God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael the archangel found him, resting on the seventh day. He inquired of God, "Where have you been?" God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look Michael, look what I've made." "Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?" "It's a planet," replied God, "and I've put Life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of balance." "Balance?", inquired Michael, still confused. God explained, pointing to different parts of earth, "For example, northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while southern Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will be a hot spot. Over there I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black people," God continued, pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very cold and covered in ice." The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a large land mass and said, "What's that one?" "Ah," said God, "That's Illinois, the most glorious place on earth. There are beautiful lakes, rivers, sunsets and rolling hills, fantastic farmlands. The people from Illinois are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous and they are going to be found traveling the world. They will be extremely sociable, hard working and high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace." Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed,"What about balance, God?" "You said there would be balance!" God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the idiots I'm putting around them in, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Missouri and Kentucky!

Of course there are a few exceptions to every rule...
98dba

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:18 am

Hey 98dba,
I heard that one 2 or 3 years ago, but it was about WV and surrounding states. Got another one for you.
There was a fellow traveling, and every once in a while he stopped at different churches, and went inside, looked around. In Illinois he saw a gold phone on the wall. He asked the parson about it and was told it was the phone to heaven, only $20 a minute, In Indiana the same thing for $10 a minute, Ohio, the same $5 a minute. When he got to West Virginia he went in a church, fed up with those money making schemes, he yelled at the parson, 'I guess you are going to try to get me to pay $3 a minute for your phone to heaven!!! The parson calmly replied 'Settle down my son, it is a local call!'
Andy

Postby Westville1 » Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:04 pm

Andy,
I suppose that your post tells me that you find me annoying. Some might find the same about you. In either case there is no need to insult the good people of Illinois, a state of which i am not a resident.
Westville1

Postby Andy » Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:27 pm

Hey Westville1,
I didn't say you were annoying, just a way I pick on some friends in Illinois, have you no humor? Some like to really pick on me because of THEIR funny accent, doesn't bother me in the least, I think it is a blast! Now, put one hillbilly in a room full of hoosiers from Illinois, anything is liable to happen, add beer and whiskey and anything WILL happen, then mix in some Buckeyes and you will really have trouble. I'm certain some of my Buckeye buddies will give me a real rough time for that one, but, we will have a lot of fun with it. 98dba doesn't seem to have a problem with me picking on Illinois, he is from there, but, he cracks hillbilly jokes on me too, Those who find me annoying, that is OK too, at least they are leaving someone else alone! What I do find annoying is that pratically every time I hear of a problem, or controversy, the name 'Illinois' is mentioned. I am certain that not all folks that live there are involved, I still find it strange!
Andy

Postby 98dba » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:40 pm

Andy is right, I don't mind him picking on Illinois a little but. I just understand that a few southern hillbillies are still scorned to be living under Northern opression, and I've even heard that in some WV schools youngsters are running around believing that the South really did win the war! So for this, I am allowing people like Andy a little slack to poke fun at us Yankees. It is all in good fun. :cool:
98dba

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:13 am

Hey 98dba,
You MIGHT have a point. Frankly, I don't care how they do it up north, but would the last yankee to leave Miami please turn out the lights. The great separation has been over for 138 years, I always thought we had won, because NOBODY wants to go up to that god forsaken place, and the yankees come down here by droves, in car convoys, and buses. You know, the dumb ones that give us dumb hillbillies $5 to take our picture. Actually I study civil war history, about as much as I collect Oliver lines. The only way the north won was by attrition, not by the skills of their army. Lee had far superior soldiers, just not as many. Prior to Grant being given command, the north had nearly lost, both at the wilderness campaign, and Bull Run, which unknowingly put Lee within 30 miles of Washington, without 1 union troop there to stop him. Lee was a gentleman, he adhered to a conduct that would allow for retreat from battle of the opposing forces. This is evident from the Fredricksburg campaign, when the union forces were allowed to retreat across the Rappahanock. He could have turned the river into a killing field, taking into consideration the layout of the battlefield, and troop position. The Confederate soldiers at the sunken road had a clear shot at anything that moved, clearly and completely across the river, and were within effective range of their weaponry. Grant was not, he was well known for drunken rages, was not well liked by his soldiers. He would throw his troops into battle as cannon fodder, using superior numbers for victory, without regard to losses. This is evident from casualty counts, both prior to and after his command. Burnside was afraid to attack, which gave Lee great momentum early in the war. The most accurate source for civil war history is 'Mary Chestnut's diary', Mary Chestnut was the wife of a politician on one side, and daughter of a politician on the other. She was at all major battles, on both sides of the lines, was well likes by soldiers of both armies. Her accounts are considered to not be slanted in either direction. I watched a part of a movie last night at my sisters house, it was about the hillbilly stereotype, Hollywood sure can make money off that. All the roads were dirt, it is difficult to find a dirt road in WV, I can remember when there was some, but now the only dirt roads I have seen are private roads. I wonder if they still have dirt roads in Oklahoma? I was in Atlanta earlier this week, the radio disc jockey was talking about WV, telling there was places without electricity, or running water, I don't know of any, I guess he had to look long and hard to find one, as everybody who wants electricity can just call the power company, they will come out and hook it up. Most rural areas don't have city water though. Most of these rely on wells or cisterns when the water table is too deep. I don't know of anybody who has a well or cistern that doesn't have a pump for running water, there might be some, but I have my doubts. I live out in the county, and have city water, and three wells that I haven't used in years.
Andy

Postby Former admin Chris L » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:21 pm

To Andy and everybody else. I enjoyed the history lesson, but it is a little off topic for this thread. Feel free to use our Miscellaneous Forum for these types of posts.

And as to some posters getting a little personal with what they have said, it needs to cool off a little. If this thread stops serving it's purpose, I will lock it.

Thanks.
Former admin Chris L

Postby 39LC » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:01 am

Can I tekk a joke??? neutral
I m from IL and had a friend retire in S Fla about 2 yrs ago. After the initial visits from all his northern relitives, he complained to me that they were getting longer and longer, but that he solved the problem. How so?, I queeried; He said that he began barrowing money from his rich relitives and loaning it to the poor ones. Now, my wife and I have a quiet winter!!:) Larry NE IL
39LC

Postby Harold » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:10 pm

Knew a trucker from Florida that said when he retired, he was going to come to Iowa in the summertime, and drive slow in the left lane, to pay back all the snowbirds that come down there and do that all winter long!!
Harold

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:06 am

Hey Chris,
I am glad you liked the history lesson, as it complies to the 'educational' provision of Article III of our Articles of Incorporation.
Andy

Andy

Postby Oliver88 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:30 pm

I too study the civil war some. Wasn't it true that the western counties of Virginia did not agree with breaking off from the Union and seperated themselves to form West Virginia? If so, doesn't that make you part of the Union?
Greg
Oliver88

Postby Andy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:00 pm

Actually, WV was a cutthroat situation, basically the family members from the northern part of the state were being killed by their southern relatives. From what I've been told, most folk wanted to stay with Virginia, but a few from up Wheeling way decided different. That is why the first capital was Wheeling, if it was Charleston they would have never made it out alive!! But thanks to old Abe, the family feud went well.
Andy

Postby Emmaking » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 pm

I like your view much, go ahead.i support you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

obd2 cables|obdii code scanner
Emmaking

Return to HPOCA Forum