suggestions for truck to haul tractors to shows

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

suggestions for truck to haul tractors to shows

Postby BuckeyeJoeG » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Hello all,

I am in the market for a new (to me) pickup. It would be an evening and weekend driver. Plus I want to use it to haul the family's Olivers to tractor shows. The smallest would be a 1555 the biggest would be a 2255.
I am debating between getting something like a Ford 550 or Dodge 5500 knowing that it won't be good on fuel and barely be big enough to haul the 2255. I will only drive it about 5000 to 10000 miles a year. Or get a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton truck for weekend and evening driving and then get a F650 F750 or even a small one axle semi (with air brakes) for hauling the tractors to the shows. Everything could be registered as farm use so the license tags and insurance would hopefully not be too bad. Another options I could haul the smaller ones then hire a semi for the bigger tractors.
For the guys that take four digit i.e. 1550’s up to 2255’s tractors to shows what do you use to haul? Pickup and a gooseneck?, two ton truck and a gooseneck or a semi tractor and trailer?
BuckeyeJoeG

Postby edchainsaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:28 pm

I haul our `1955/cummins with a dodge 3500 / cummins I wouldnt think a 2255 would be ALL that much bigger to haul I have hauled a 210AC with fluid and did 'eee ok' if I were to haul every weekend yes bigger but I know shows are not every weekend and you dont haul the 2255 to every show I would think you could get by with a GOOD 1ton (with dauls)

I wish I had a trailer for my semi === the 1963 d4 cat and 210 AC are just a bit of a load but heck my dad had a 3650 MF w/mfwd on his 1ton chevy w/454 ...
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Re: suggestions for truck to haul tractors to shows

Postby BuckeyeJoeG » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:08 am

Well, ends up I bought a '01 F550. Now I need to get a gooseneck trailer. I want to get 12k axles and electric over hydraulic brakes.

Any suggestions for trailer setup? I am thinking either a 25 and 5 or a 30 and 5 length trailer to be able to haul a 1X55 tractor and a three, four or five bottom semi mounted plow. At some point the plow would get too wide to fit on the trailer.
BuckeyeJoeG

Return to Miscellaneous Forum