Super77 Hydraulics

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

Super77 Hydraulics

Postby 54Super77 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:58 pm

I own a Super77 that came with electronic hydraulic valves. I have nothing lift of the switches. I also have no idea where they mounted or even looked. All I have left is a wiring harness that was chopped off because the switches burned up. Does anyone have any pictures of the switches or where they mounted? Is it possible to get repacements?
54Super77

Postby Former admin Chris L » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:29 am

If it has the original hydraulic system, then those cables connected to the hydraulic cylinders to sense when they were up, down, and to also adjust the depth stop collar. There should be one or two levers coming out of the top of the hydraulic unit to work the remotes. The system will still work without the electric portion hooked up, you just won't be able to control a hydra-lectric cylinder with it.

If you don't have the levers that come out of the top of the unit, then the tractor has an older hydra-lectric unit. On those, the switches were mounted on the steering column.

A Super 77 should have come with what was known as the Series III hydra-lectric unit. I don't think that anybody is making reproduction harnesses or switches for them at this time. Check with www.korvesoliver.com to see what they have. Give them a call, they are very helpful and might be able to find something for you.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby 54Super77 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:16 am

It probably had an older hydra-lectric system on it. But it currently has a newer system. The story was that my great-grandfather went in the house for dinner and threw his coat over the steering wheel, and the coat held the levers and burnt the switches. My guess is that they just replaced what they needed. Probably with the newer style. Thanks for the link. There is a dealer close to me that has a few Super 77's with the valves on them but he isnt willing to get rid of them. So I'll just keep on hunting.

Being a Deere guy, Oliver tractors are a little foreign to me. I pulled the old Oliver out of the barn and started tinkering. The more i worked the more it needed. I have a problem with it missing right now. New plug wires, new plugs, new distibutor cap and rotor, new points, and new coil. We have spark at the plug but still no fire. It doesnt seem to be a exhaust valve stuck open or closed because it doent hammer because of no exhaust, and it does not flutter through the exhaust beause its open. Any suggestions to where I could look for problems?

Thanks
54Super77

Hydra-lectric on a 77

Postby John Schwiebert » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:34 pm

O. K. In 1954 production ended for the model 77 tractors and production started in the fall for the Super 77 tractors. One of the features of the Super 77 tractor was the group 3 Hydra-lectric. The switches that work that unit are internal. The fleetline units are mounted on the steering collum. Is this a diesel? If the unit was wired properly, there would be no power to the switch(S) with the key off. So since I am not sharpest tack please explain some more: Picture serial number? etc.
John Schwiebert

Re:

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:09 am

As far as the miss, have you checked the valve adjustment? If a valve is a little tight, that could be the problem, and it is more common than one might think. A tight valve won't 'hammer' but can cause loss of compression, resulting in a regular miss, you didn't state if the miss is regular or irregular. Something I like to use is a cylinder leakdown gauge, this gives a world of information on the condition of a combustion chamber. If you have a 'Harbor Freight Tools' near you, they normally stock this tool, but, you will need an air compressor to use it. It comes with instructions, I had to buy an adapter from NAPA, as this tool only has 'modern' adapters. Also, if you buy this tool, I would suggest that you invest in a cheap stethoscope. It is easy and simple to hook up this tool, then listen to the exhaust pipe, carburetor, and thru the dipstick hole to diagnose where there may be a problem. Did you check or replace the breaker points, and condensor in your distributor? Those are good tractors, if you get it running correctly you will be well pleased with it, it will run as smooth as silk.
Take care,
Andy
Andy

Return to Miscellaneous Forum