Loss of Weight

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

Loss of Weight

Postby edchainsaw » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:28 pm

At the risk of sounding like a real whinner! someone stole the wieghts we had for the front of our super 66--- the ones that bolt on the nose...

Is there any Idea what they could have been worth IF they could be replaced?

These Crudds got our areation fan , several wheel weights and a LOT of tools... ( large snap-ons, Craftsman and a 3/4 drive set --nonChina)
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby 39LC » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that Ed. There sure are some low lifes roaming this earth!
Larry :(
39LC

Postby Former admin Chris L » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:37 am

Ed,

Of all the ones to steal.... It seems like the last time I saw one sell it was $75- $85 range. They're probably worth even more now.

I always wonder what kind of cheap thrill these idiots get from stealing stuff. Jerks! :evil:
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby Former admin Chris L » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 am

Ed,

A friend just reminded me of a good idea. Check with the area scrap yards and let them know what was stolen. They might be able to help you out. If they're the not so friendly types, just let them know you are looking for some tractor weights to buy and to let you know if any come in. They'll let you know if they think they are going to make an extra buck in the deal.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby edchainsaw » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:40 pm

thanks for the info... we did the "check " but the scrappers "DIDNT SEE A THING" but had some IH weights ( we lost 3 of those too)

but dont know where they came from.... ( ya right)
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby calvin innes » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:58 am

Hi Ed,
Sort of sounds like someone who knew what you had....anyone been around just before that and maybe saw what you had?
I was gon a few days this winter, just before Christmas and someone stole the 100 lb. propane tank off the back of the house! Just broke the copper lines and ran off with the tank! ....go figure!
Cal
calvin innes

Postby oliver950 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:05 pm

we bought 2 sets of front weights for an IH at an auction a month ago, set them under the s77 we bought and we went back the next day and all the weights were gone
Gordon
oliver950

Postby edchainsaw » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:13 pm

I actually think they really didnt know what they were taking --- it was just Weight... you know scrap...

the rapid hitch they took now thats a mystery.... it just looked like a lot of iron i guess..

one thing they left and didnt realize how expensive it was was the floor sweeper--- in the last northern Cattalog it was $750 ( its not worth it and sure dont need it -- would have loved the $750 instead)

and they did not take my Christmas present--- the Gun Safe--- they just tore the carboard box it was in up..
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Re:

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:08 am

Well, yeah, thieves are getting bolder. I don't have much of a problem here because everyone knows I'm plumb crazy and like to hide then shoot stuff. We did have 2 thefts in the last 20 years or so, one we are sure was passing thru from out of state, insurance covered that. The other one blew his brains out when a deputy told him we thought he did it. Well, we didn't know for sure, but could place the suspect to within 1/4 mile, on a country road. I'm always getting someone stopping by to try and take 'that old junk' off my hands, lately. They generally quit bothering me when they see that .45 strapped to my belt though. There was one guy that stole round bales from next door, then he stole someones baler. He stopped by to look around, and asked what I was doing with a backhoe. I told him burying thieves, he didn't come back, but he is in prison for stealing the baler. I probably should find someone in prison and send them a carton of cigarettes to eliminate any possibility of future problems, though. I don't like thieves, nor do I tolerate them.
Take care,
Andy
Andy

Postby Former admin Chris L » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:18 am

Andy,

Just what are you trying to imply here? Shoot first and ask questions later? Hiring a hit man to wipe out your enemies?

If this is supposed to be a joke, it didn't come off as one. And besides, you are the President of the HPOCA. When you post on The HPOCA website, whether you like it not, you are doing it as the President of the HPOCA. It's the price you pay for having your name at the top of the list.

I've already been asked to delete, or at least edit your post, but I'd rather give you a chance to explain yourself. The internet is a tough place to get true emotions across. Sometimes you either have to be terribly obvious, or better yet, keep your opinions to yourself.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby IanC » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:07 pm

Chris, you talk of perception, Andy didn't say he'd shoot/shot one, just let the person(s) who'd chosen thievery as a line of work PERCIEVE that he might. Wolves don't attack sheep dogs, just sheep. Just as two legged wolves only attack sheeple. To paraphrase the old saying, the surest way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
IanC

Postby Former admin Chris L » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:58 am

Ian,

I got where Andy was coming from with the gun being a visual deterrent. I myself have done some things some might consider weird in order to keep the undesirables away from my property. The real problem others and myself have is the line:
"I probably should find someone in prison and send them a carton of cigarettes to eliminate any possibility of future problems, though."

I think I know Andy well enough that he wouldn't do something like this, but most out there reading this don't.

We all should be able to say what we want, but we also have to realize that our words have consequences. Which reminds me of another saying, discretion is the better part of valor.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby edchainsaw » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:31 pm

that comment also is mentioned in the book of James--- ya I know this might upset some.. LOL

But James says let your yea be yea and nay be nay meaning what ever you say --- better be what you mean---

but
I think thats a good IDEA he had --- OH ya I knew it was kidding :)
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

In response,

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:43 pm

What am I trying to imply? I think that is really simple, I don't like thieves, I don't tolerate them, I am not apathetic, nor apologetic because of this, nor will I be. Thefts are becoming more common place in rural areas, I can remember a time when nobody used locks on buildings. There are 2 things that are to a thief's advantage, first is opportunity, there is not much I can personally do about that other than try to keep my stuff locked up, out of sight, or watch it. The other is lack of retribution, a thief loves it when nobody is willing to stand up, this is where it is important to take a stand, and not be apathetic. Here in West Virginia we have laws that allow one to use whatever force necessary to prevent a criminal activity on one's property, I don't know how it is in other places. Maybe where you live the laws require you to stand back and watch a thief break in and steal, or hurt family and friends, that is not the case here. Have no doubt, I will stand up to these low life's. Of course, the only person I know in prison is that one thief, I don't associate myself with that type of person, so, that issue is probably moot, but, it sounds like a good idea. By and large, HPOCA members are good, honest, trustworthy, people, we need to stay that way. I have only had one item stolen at one of our shows, a magnetic decal, I believe a non-member attending the show probably took it, I now use the adhesive decal. I know Eddie, met him this summer, he is a good guy and doesn't deserve to be stolen from. I don't consider his post to be whining, but venting anger of a crime committed against him, and I agree he should be angry. If my response does offend those who would steal, I don't care. Those who object to criminal activity would not be offended anyhow, unless they have become apathetic towards crimes. Taking into consideration that there may be non-members that can view but not post, this would otherwise be a moot issue, preaching to the choir.
If my comments prevent one theft, then I consider them to be beneficial.
Take care,
Andy
Andy

Postby IanC » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:41 pm

Thanks Andy. I wish more people would realize that toleration of "property" crimes is a a slippery slope to civic breakdown. And it isn't just a "property" crime because nobody can give me back the TIME I spent out of my three score and ten (or so) away from family and doing the things I like to, earning the money to get the property. Lost a motorcycle less than one month after making the last payment. Know who took it but couldn't prove it (only one person outside immediate family knew where spare parts were and they were missing too).
IanC

Postby 39LC » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi Chris,
I appreciate the position You were put in by those who were offended to the point of hiding behind You to do their bidding, although I not only didn't see the post as besmurching the club at all, but find it quite objectionable that someone would lean on You to do their dirty work, rather than standing up for their own opinions. I pity them.

Anyone that prys a living out of the soil knows the changes we have all seen in the last 50 years. Those days of not locking anything up are long gone. Their are people in our midst that will stop at nothing to fill their own needs, and have absolutly no respect for another humans life or property.

I took Andy's post as an objection to the apathetic actions of those who would rather stand up for the thugs rights than those who the crime was committed against! Ed Chainsaw.........

Larry Coltrin
39LC

Postby edchainsaw » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:14 pm

I thank you all for your support--- and I have been in Chris's shoe's and know what the deal is---

I think the local sherif arrested the guys this past week but its to late for our stuff. and bond was set at $2500 so they were out that afternooon... one's father WAS the Police Chief in a neighboring town.... sad.
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby edchainsaw » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:23 pm

I had an interesting morning--- we have one of those side arm mowers that fits on a 3pt hitch and goes 12ft up or out from the tractor.

today I backed up and nicked a tree-- that was all the rock-shaft on the 285 massey could take--- it BROKE OFF!!!! I got it off the tractor and took off after another tractor.

On the way out of the field I came across what use to be the tongue out of my 4 bottom PLOW!!! IT WAS SCRAPPED last week sometime!!! this is getting rediculous... well.
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Return to Miscellaneous Forum