Too much rain

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

Too much rain

Postby Former admin Chris L » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 am

I know a lot of you have been getting too much rain, but this picture I got from the Andersons says tons. It was taken near Martinsville, Indiana about 50 miles south west of Indianapolis. I know people in Iowa are hurting as well, with more rain on the way.

You can't control the rain, but you can make good decisions. Be careful out there and don't take any unnecessary risks.
Attachments
rainOutlook.jpg
rainOutlook.jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 4904 times
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby 39LC » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Wow! I always wondered how you plant water lillys!
39LC

Re:

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:51 pm

I guess Iowa is getting hit real hard. I talked to Marc last night, they closed the bridges, one suspension bridge just went away. Charles city is getting hit as well, but Marc told me the museum is on higher ground.
Andy

Postby OliverEducation » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:43 am

In talking with J.D. fanatics...I just assumed John Deere tractors could 'walk' on water?!

:lol:
---------------
Center for History
part of The Museums at Washington & Chapin
808 West Washington
South Bend, Indiana 46601
(574) 235-9664
www.centerforhistory.org
Read the Oliver history online!
----------------
OliverEducation

Postby edchainsaw » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:32 pm

I know some JD guys think they walk on water -- but I happen to know a MF dealer that SAYS for sure his MF"s will.. LOL but between the JD and the MF I had to chose one to leave in a hurry with--- I'd hope the MF would make it on its own... LOL

we have had 20 inches in 10 days now.. have lost most of the corn crop and beans planted... hope to get something planted before the 4th..
even the corn we have on the high grounds been so wet it died-- drown or what ever you want to call it.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Re:

Postby Andy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Most times esprit de corps is a good thing, but I just used a JD 8200 grain drill one of our members loaned me to put in my beans, the drill is nearly new, neither of us had used it, normally we would use a Haybuster 107 no-till drill. The 8200 did a wonderful job except for one mistake I made, I opened the wrong end on the bags of seed and planted them all upside down, since Jim Kline brought this to my attention, I have assigned him the duty of digging each seed back up and turning them right side up! Lets see, 1200 lbs x 2800 seeds per lb = 3,360,000 seeds, I hope Jim enjoys the experience. I can't say anything bad about that JD drill, well except one tire leaks, I'll have to fix that, but the tire is Goodyear, any tire can get a leak, and the bottom of the seed hopper is flat which is a little bit of a job cleaning out the last few seed, I prefer the slanted bottom Superior had on their seed bin, but beggars can't be choosers, and my Oliver Superior has been froze up for years, It just won't work at all. I guess I'll sell Ron's JD 8200 for him, and we will go back to using the Haybuster, the JD is 14' wide well maybe 14'2", and is difficult to move on our 10' roads, the Haybuster is a couple of feet narrower, which makes a big difference in traveling. In reality I can't complain about the job the JD did, it put the seed at the right depth, rows 6" apart, the Haybuster or my Superior has 7" spacing, either works for me, the JD has closing wheels, so no need for a cultipacker afterwards, and it would work well no matter how fast I could stay on the tractor. It would probably be a good machine for someone who needs to plant 300 to 400 acres. I don't think Bob Tallman would agree, he is the one who made me think JD only made junk, but now, I'm thinking that in some cases, it might be better to assess the machine rather than blindly follow the brand. I would sometime like to find the parts to make my White air planter do beans in narrow rows, though, it is a good machine also, just 36" rows are a little wide for beans, and the seed drop monitor can be tempermental, probably due to operator maintenance defects. Both are American made, which is a big plus for me. As far as this flooding problem goes, I hope the good Lord has mercy on these hard working farmers, that is the best I can pray for!!!
Take care!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby edchainsaw » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:25 pm

I am a loyal person by nature BUT I am a realist so I know that every company makes JUNK once in a while.. and makes mistakes all the time.

Thats partly why there are almost every make of tractor or machine on the farm --- there is even a Ford plow, and a Case backhoe.... LOL

We never lost our home -- my grampa's is lost we think -- but that was not flood waters it was IDIOT rentor error.. I have friends that have lost their homes--- we lost a lot of money thats for sure but we have a place to live and all our stuff! We are blessed.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby Former admin Chris L » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Eddie,

I'm glad to hear that everybody is ok. Stuff can be replaced, people can't.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

High water in Iowa

Postby oleblu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:47 pm

While watching the 6:00 news tonight, Gerald Morgan from Lone Tree, Ia was on camera talking about the high water for about 20 seconds.
Gerald had the SHARP 770 in Waterloo at the Winter Get Together.
Please keep ALL the flood victoms in your thoughts and a few prayers wouldn't hurt.
oleblu

Return to Miscellaneous Forum