Hay Season has Begun!

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

Hay Season has Begun!

Postby Wrenchbender » Fri May 23, 2008 3:12 am

Well it's officialy started, mowed 30 acres last evening in less than 4 hours and used less than 3/4 tank of fuel in the 1955!

Looks like it's gonna make alot of hay, it'll need to with $4.50+ diesel and $4.00 gas!

Hope everyones had a good and safe spring, WB.
Wrenchbender

Postby Former admin Chris L » Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 am

I've been thinking of dropping some hay, if for no other reason than so many people need it around here.

Must be you have a disc mower? You sure can make good time with one of them. Take some pictures, I always like seeing the Olivers in action.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby edchainsaw » Fri May 23, 2008 9:46 pm

GEE didn't you get it wet tonight????? we thought it had passed and might get to plant again tommarrow but its rained on and off since 2pm...

If you figure out what Break even is on that let me know so I can charge that myself... I have a bunch of people calling me to get started and cant yet.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby Wrenchbender » Sat May 24, 2008 6:25 am

Hey Ed, it got rained on. So much for the light sprinkles! Going out to ted it now. I was hoping to make it square bales but it may end up round, WB.
Wrenchbender

Postby edchainsaw » Sat May 24, 2008 10:46 pm

our local weather munchkin (if you've seen wthi TV10 you know what i am talking about)

we are to get rain tomarrow too--- and after we worked up ground wet hoping it would dry by monday morning enough to plant before anouther toad strangler.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Re:

Postby Andy » Sun May 25, 2008 10:54 am

Hey John,
I've been tying up a goodly portion of my time on alternative energy, it has been too wet to plant here, I guess the beans will go in the first weekend in June, if the good lord wishes. Not even thinking about hay, yet, but it does need to be taken care of. We don't even have the sorghum sudan grass in yet, but planting conditions are improving. My buddy Ron stopped by a couple of weeks ago, we talked about spacing out the planting schedule to derive the most benefit from harvest of haylage, so we will be working toward that. I bought a 1926 South Bend type 'O' lathe, another project. Our CPA gave me a preliminary report, we will be well within the black, which thrills me to no end. I am holding off on writing my column to last minute in hopes of being able to include a financial summary, the audit should be complete this week.
Take care,
Andy
Andy

Postby 39LC » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:50 am

I looked at mine today. The timothy is starting to head but the alfalfa is a week away from bloom. The wx man here is predicting wetter than normal for the next two weeks.
I might as well wash my truck too!

Larry
39LC

Postby Wrenchbender » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Hey Larry,

I got 60 acres put up last week, the last on Friday right before 2 1/4" rain. The hay is making pretty good, about fifty squares per acre. I had 18 acres of alfalfa that I planted last fall and it made 70 round bales!

Delivered 444 squares today and have another 600+ for wendensday. Need it to dry up a little so I can get the rounds out of the field!

How's it going with that 1655 transmission/rearend?
Wrenchbender

Postby edchainsaw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:11 pm

some local non-grain farmers snuck in a few bales monday--- thats before the 4+ inches we got thats sitting now a Lake over the beans I planted monday and the corn dad planted last week(what didnt wash down to Louisiana) that 4 inches came all after 2am and before 11am... the local wheat is down and the tall grasses are down so haying will be a mess.

We are thankful the twister was up in the clouds and not on the ground.
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby 39LC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:03 pm

John, that's a sizeable yeild on the new stuff! I'm impressed!

Ed, I feel for you. Mother earth sometimes makes us feel insignificantly small when She feels like it. Your just helpless to do much but pray! Hope things improve for You.

I just drained the trans/rear end. Lots of water. The fluid is pretty thin and very milky. I didn't get a lot of metel.Some chunks the size of a 6 penny nail head, but mostly just the grindings on the magnets. The tractor sat for 6 days before I drained it and the water/oil was mixed so well that it looked like it was made that way. I think the oil was cheap stuff.
I'm going to fill it with 80/90 and see what happens. Oh yeah, I haven't pulled the trans filter off yet either. If it keeps pounding then I'll park it until at least after this first cutting is in the barn. :D
39LC

Postby edchainsaw » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:33 pm

we got another 2 + inches today enough now that the corn we had up and looking nice went under the Eel Rivers back up. ... we are guessing that Insurance is all we can hope for now on most of the corn.

BUt I read a post on ATIS from a guy in Shelbyville-- and it makes me mad at myself for feeling sorry for myself. At the time he was writing his tennants were still not acounted for in his house in Moscow,IN... and his daughter has not been able to contact him for 2 days-- but think her family and are ok.
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby 39LC » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:44 pm

30% chance turned out to be 100% on my hay today! We bailed until dark on thursday but got a late start and only got about 290 baled. Light rain around 11:00 am, waited two and a half hours then went out to pick up the ones from last night and got caught in a frog drownder! We managed to get 224in the barn (still on the wagons).
Oh, well, if I haden't fooled with the mower/conditioner last sunday, I would have been done yesterday! Can't ask for more than 4 days in a row of nice sunshine!! :)
39LC

Postby Former admin Chris L » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:34 am

I know what you mean Larry. We made 500 squares and 18 round bales yesterday. I've got more to do today, but we got a shot of rain in the night and it doesn't look too good for this afternoon. I'm not going to rake the stuff until it's just about ready.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby Wrenchbender » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Hey Guys,

We've had a pretty good week! Mowed 70 acres on Monday and Tuesday. Baled 13 round bales and 910 squares off 14 acres of Orchardgrass, amazing stuff fertilizer, Wednesday. Baled 247 rounds on Thursday and 55 on Friday. Delivered 46 rounds yesterday and today and took 90 squares to the hay auction today.

I think I'm going to put my feet up if Cindy doesn't make me go to town for supper! WB

PS, My neighbor drilled my 30 acres of beans for me yesterday, maybe I'll only have to plant once!
Wrenchbender

Postby edchainsaw » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:37 pm

we have 100- ac to plant of beans for the first time.. and 75 to replant but none of the planted are up yet... and we've had rain on them everyday...

there is an old saying my gr gr grampa told that if it rains on June1 it will rain for 21 days... ( It rained north of us on the 1st but guess there was a few drops that fell)

and he said if you have rain on june 1 you have no crop
June 2 you have no crop
june 3 if you DONT get rain you will not have a crop... guess what.
we had rain no rain june 3... and did june 2

we stopped planting (replanting) corn wednesday... neighbor was planting some today when he got rained out.
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Return to Miscellaneous Forum