HEY! Where is everyone?

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

HEY! Where is everyone?

Postby calvin innes » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:45 pm

It has been pretty quiet around the web site lately....Whats new?
For me here in Connecticut spring is creeping in ever so slowly. The snow is gone here at the house, but an hour west where I work, there is still snow to be found and we have the forest roads closed because of either snow and mud. I came home Wednesday night and parked along side the fire pond below the shop and the wood frogs were emerging and trying their best to croak.... today it never hit 35 degrees and strong winds out of the north, no frogs singing today! Robins and Redwing Blackbirds are back and crows are gathering nesting materials. There is still ice on the bigger lakes and protected ponds.
I didn't do any maple sugaring this year as my wife and I are due to retire April 1st and make the move to Maine...equipment and all! I've got 7 tractors moved, 6 more to go and the 2655 is in parts all over the shop floor still! Yikes! It is amazing how much you accumulate over the years and sometimes it hard to decide what goes/what stays/what gets pitched.
I had the boys take some scrap steel to the salvage yard last week.Holy Smoke! 200 dollars a ton! (I havent turned in scrap since it was 20 dollars)
Would be glad to hear whats going on out there.....Say, does Larry Coltrin still live in Illinois? :wink:

Cal
calvin innes

Postby edchainsaw » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:36 pm

hello--- here we are fighting mud and floods-- its not uncommon for my cousin to have corn planted by the first ( we all call him the april fool) this time NO way....

Good Luck in the retirement there!
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby carrothead » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:50 am

Up north of the border it can't decide if it is spring or still winter. Temps running anywhere from 20 to 50 degrees. Mother nature and father time must be having marital issues, because they sure don't seem to be on the same page this year.
carrothead

Postby Former admin Chris L » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:54 am

We still have a bit of snow here and there, but I think the frost is tarting to come out of the drives. Been working on the 2-155, it's got a new clutch in it. I am just about done putting the new cab kit in it. Kinda sad to say that the cab kit cost me more than the clutch did.

Also been helping some friends rebuild their 88 diesel. Checkout the video they posted of it on Youtube -

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g5Js6ixZqZM&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g5Js6ixZqZM&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

We went to start it, and just couldn't get it to fire. It was late (watch the time on the video) so we finally gave up for the night. I double checked the timing, and did some more fuel bleeding, and by golly the next time it started right up. All I can figure is there was still a little air in the fuel, and our battery was getting tired after bleeding the system out. Runs like a champ now! We're going to finish up the brakes and try making it move this week.

I've got to thank you again Cal. We had pancakes for supper a couple of nights ago, and we used your maple syrup. Very good stuff!
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby carrothead » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:11 pm

good to hear of another oliver up and running.talked to a guy i know that has an oliver 77 wide axle row crop to be restored. he says that it looks pretty sad sitting beside a massey 201 and a 55 that are over half restored. he wants me to replace the clutch,fix the exhaust leak and give it a paint job. i am going to try to get some pictures to post as the project progresses.
carrothead

Postby carrothead » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:19 pm

found a picture i have with the oliver peaking out from behind the masseys.in the baackground is a motorhome built by john deere
Attachments
2masseys and an oliver.jpg
2masseys and an oliver.jpg (20.28 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
carrothead

Postby 39LC » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:23 pm

Chris, that vidio is heartwarming for this time of the year!

Yep!, Cal, I'm still here....Rode with my Daughter and Grandkids back to Virginia last week, so I wasn't here. The week before I got into the slop in the horse corall and stepped out of a boot! Wife left me there for three days before one of my Grandkids found me and threw me a rope! So, I've been kinda busy lately!
I bought a 1655 about a month ago that I'm fooling with (trans noise) and I'm getting closer to painting my 1958 770. (maybe a month?)
When I bought all these tractors I was younger and thinking I could do 2 restorations per year....turning out to be more like 1 restoration every TWO YEARS!
Larry :D
39LC

Working on Olivers!

Postby Wrenchbender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:47 pm

First, Larry I want to apolozige for not getting you called back =( Every time I think of it, it seems like the wrong time of day or night.

Chris, I replaced an injection pump on a guy's 88 the other day. It was running when I picked it up and was still warm when I got home with it so it started OK. After I put the new pump on I didn't think it started to good cold. When I took it back I aske dhim how long he used the preheater? He told me 40-45 sec. I had only been letting it heat up about 15 sec. I held it for 45 and it started great. I noticed you guys were letting the heater heat way up, the guy's hand got hot! Guess now I know how long to heat it!

Been working also on getting my 770 diesel running. Guy I bought it off of said it was hard to start and that he had never got it started. Well the tin=ming was off about 90 degrees! Glad I took the pump off, they had the shaft seal peeled back.

Also working on OHing an engine for my 1755 and gathering up parts for a Cummins conversion on a 1955. Hope I get them done for the hay season! WB.
Wrenchbender

Postby edchainsaw » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 pm

I hope you get those done too before hay! lol its not that far off now ...

we have a 1655 thats acting like the 770 you speek of. And then there was the mechanic that said there is no timing marks on that particular pump at all... he put it back together by guess.... YA its not a good starter at all.. to aid in the starting he took off the heater and replaced the circut with an either kit --- that works.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby calvin innes » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:43 am

Hey! Good to see all have made it through another winter! It seems that everyone has a 770 to work on and I am no exception. Late last summer I bought a 770 diesel narrow front with a mounted New Idea corn picker. There was so much picker I couldnt find the 770! A couple of weeks ago I removed the picker to find a pretty nice tractor. It has power steering , but does not steer left for beans.... Oh boy! another project!
If anyone is interested in the picker....come get it. I will not use it.
Larry, if you lost yer boot out in the pasture.... did you stand on one foot until being rescued? I bet your neighbors thought you had decided to take up Tai Chi ! :lol: I remember my son losing both boots in the spring mud... what a hoot!
Cal
calvin innes

Postby 39LC » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:56 pm

John, not a problem. Chris had some good information for me in the meantime. 1655 has an awful thump in the trans area, in all gears and the thump is pretty even no matter the gear the trans is in. Also stays the same when you drive in circles each way. I was talking with Dennis Baker last week and He suggested I pull the brakes and check the bearings there 1st. To tell the truth, I haven't even drained the trans oil yet!

Cal, I haven't seen a winter this cold here for quite a few years. When you go out, you'd think the ground will NEVER dry up! We got some T-storms yesterday am, those helped shake some of it out but could use another bunch to finish it off.
39LC

Return to Miscellaneous Forum