fuels ??????

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

fuels ??????

Postby out plowing » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:29 pm

What is Distillate fuel? Commonly found mentioned in various tractor companies from the 30 to the 50’s as an economical fuel for your tractor. Is Distillate more like Diesel or like Kerosene, or a mixture of the two? One older gentleman now long since passed on, once told me that it was heating oil. Was he correct? I’m Very Confused. Any ideas?
out plowing

Postby Former admin Chris L » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:20 am

For Oliver it was KD, which stood or Kerosene Distillate. So I would say it was basically kerosene. Every kerosene burning tractor I have seen had a small tank for gasoline, you'd start the tractor on that to warm it up. The kerosene would not burn very well in a cold engine, and was very hard to start with. Once the tractor had run for a few minutes, you would switch to the kerosene tank and go to work. Some older tractors "injected" water into the fuel mixture to get more power out of the kerosene.

Check out these links for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor_vaporising_oil
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby out plowing » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:37 pm

thanks
out plowing

Postby edchainsaw » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:58 pm

distillate is not really Kerosene is more of a MIX between diesel and Kerosene. Kerosene is a very high grade of fuel, as is diesel, and gasoline, Distillate is a low grade or not as refined.
I honestly do not think you can find it availbable today anywhere.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby Lorrick » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:09 pm

Hello there

In the UK it is Called TVO Tractor Vaporising Oil, The link below tells you what is in it and ow to make it.

Regards

Richard

http://www.vintagetractorengineer.com/b ... ising-oil/
Lorrick

Re:

Postby Andy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:49 pm

By definition distillate fuel is classified as a No. 1, 2, or 3 fuel oil. In my KD engines I run No.1 fuel oil, aka 'kerosene', switching over from gasoline after the manifold gets hot. Some engine collectors believe kerosene produces more power than gasoline, but, I can't see any difference. I can barely remember KD tractors being used for farming, and they were older models. Some farmers preferred them in the '60's around here because they could buy kerosene for a nickle a gallon, opposed to 33 cents for gasoline. With the current fuel prices I can see no benefit as gasoline is now a little cheaper, but some of us occasionally run KD for nostalgia. Years ago when I was working on drilling rigs in the 'oil patch' of Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma, people would tell about using 'drip gas', which is also a natural occurring distillate, which was separated out from crude oil in the recovery process. I've seen tanks of 'drip gas' near producing wells, and was told it was a byproduct, which was often given away, or oil companies sometimes payed to have it disposed of. I understand that now drip gas is considered to be a useful product, as such it is sold. Older engines even some automobiles could run off of it, but smelled funny. Modern engines can't use it though.
Andy

Return to Miscellaneous Forum