THE OLIVER TOUR!

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

THE OLIVER TOUR!

Postby calvin innes » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:38 pm

Well, I had an interesting day....I was sent by a friend of mine who is also an Oliver collector from a couple of towns over, to see Sid Chavin in Nassau, New York. I did not realize at the time that he is a former Oliver dealer and I think that as far as he is concerned... he still is! For some reason, I thought he was just a farmer who had a couple of corn pickers he wanted to sell.
I believe I had the most pleasant surprise....to find out that he has probably 200 olivers and most all for sale. There are many that are strictly for parting out and some that will be sold for scrap. Sid is currently an AGCO dealer(and a HPOCA member) and can get any new parts needed, plus he deals in used parts. My wife and I were treated to a tour of all his tractors, many of which I had never seen before. I think there were at least 15 of the 55/550 series and plenty of larger Olivers, up to the 2255,many with front wheel assist. Also thrown in the package tour were plenty of White 2 and 4 wheel drives.
Well, he had a 770 with a mounted new idea corn picker, 2 88's with corn pickers, a super nice 1800 gas with an Oliver #7 (?)picker, all in sheds, and an Oliver self-propelled forage chopper! Well, I wound up with the 770 diesel with the New Idea.

Sid is the nicest person you will ever meet and I was so pleased that he took time out to show me all of his Olivers. I believe if any one is looking for parts it would be worth giving him a call. I see many return trips to Nassau, New York in my future.
Cal
calvin innes

Return to Miscellaneous Forum