tricycle or not

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

tricycle or not

Postby carrothead » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:33 am

Is a narrow front tractor with four wheels still a tricycle. I was taught in school that the prefix "tri" mean't three not four.
carrothead

Postby calvin innes » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:40 am

My vote is yes. Around here it was (and is) still considered a tricycle. While it may actually have 4 tires, it basically has 3 points of contact on the ground..... :wink: As a kid, I never used one, they were always considered "tippy" on the side hills. Looking back, I don't think they were so bad, but I do know 2 fellas who tipped them over when they were using a loader on the side hill....one died in the accident. Too bad. I have a H-P 70 tricycle and it is a pleasure to use.
Cal
calvin innes

tricycle or not

Postby carrothead » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:41 am

I have a tricycle (three wheel) Massey Harris 30 (not an Oliver,rats). Around here people are adamant that if it has four wheels it's not a tricycle. Each to there own I guess. Was just looking for the opinion of others.Thanks
carrothead

Postby edchainsaw » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:49 pm

we always called them tricycle type.... 3 pts of contact with the ground and yes they are tippy

the neighbors turned one over every year and dad and grampa had to help them get back every time.. they drove fast on the corners.

I use one now all the time but as a kid dad and grampa got rid of them before they let me work alone...
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby 39LC » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:38 pm

I think the factory sold them as "tricycle"

Larry Coltrin
39LC

Postby 39LC » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:38 pm

I think the factory sold them as "tricycle"

Larry Coltrin
39LC

Postby Mariegrace » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:47 am

I have learned a lot.

Postby Donald Lehman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Around here, we call em "narrow front ends" regardless of one wheel or two. Up until the late 1950's/early 60's, the narrow front end tractor was the norm around here. Pop owned 2 Allis WC's and a Farmall M until 1954 and then traded the M for our 88 with a wide front end. The 88 was a bit of an oddity for the next several years and somewhat of a conversation piece, until wide front end tractors became more common. Biggest drawback to the popularity of the wide front end type was that they did not turn short enough to make a turn at the corners while mowing hay. That's why Pop bought a narrow front end S88 when the WC's left the farm. No one was happier to see those knuckle-busting WC's leave the farm, than this old farm boy. Anyone who has ever driven a WC knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

tricycle or not

Postby Bingomaster » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:22 pm

And to think at work I'm a hard core speed demon... till I drop when I get home. Ok that's actually a reason I'm transfering too.

Another fun thing about yesterday. I'm not used to the sun so...SUNBURN
Only a little on my left side but I am left handed so still it's an ouchie.
Conviertete en una mejor persona y asegurate de saber quien eres antes de conocer a alguien mas y esperar a que esa persona sepa quien eres
Bingomaster

Return to Miscellaneous Forum