Oliver colors

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

Oliver colors

Postby 39LC » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:38 pm

Does anybody know where the light green color that a lot of folks paint their Hart-Parr/Oliver 70's came from? There seems to be a lot of them and I can't find any info on that color being used.
I have 2 original 1936 H.P.70' that were painted dark green, and a 1937 style 2 that is also dark green.
Larry Coltrin
39LC

Postby calvin innes » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:37 pm

Hey Larry,
Your older Olivers were a darker green and after the Hart Parr 70 the color changed. Apparently in mid 1952 the color changed again and the laster fleetlines, the supers, 3 didgits and 4 didgits were all the same green. I have paint code #'s if you want them.
The super 77 is the same as a really nice 1850 I got recently. :wink: By the way, the 1850 looks good with the snow thrower on it ... still have to put chains on the rear tires, perhaps this weekend. I see there is a block heater on it, did you ever use it? I (have yet to check that out, but I have a new spare on the shelf if it is NG.)
We got an inch of snow yesterday, our first....not too impressive!
Are you working on that orchard tractor yet?
Cal
calvin innes

Postby calvin innes » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:48 am

Larry,
I believe I misunderstood your initial question. I think the older tractors, if painted the lighter green, are incorrectly painted. The local tractor dealer here has Oliver green paint on the shelf, but it is the lighter green of the newer tractors....."well, it says Oliver Green on the can...yep, that's what I'm lookin' fer" . I suspect they don't realize the paint difference.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby 39LC » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi Cal,

Yep, that's what I ment! I'm just wondering where that color started? I 've read that Oliver stayed with the dark green until a change in 1944. Also, the 1937 style 2 70 that I have has green wheels Anyone know what year they changed to red?
As for the 1850 heater, yes I did use it. Seemed to work O.K., ut the fan was pretty noisy as I recall. If youget a chance, maby you could send or post a picture of the 1860 with the snow blower ont it :D

Larry
39LC

Postby 39LC » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi Cal,

Yep, that's what I ment! I'm just wondering where that color started? I 've read that Oliver stayed with the dark green until a change in 1944. Also, the 1937 style 2 70 that I have has green wheels Anyone know what year they changed to red?
As for the 1850 heater, yes I did use it. Seemed to work O.K., ut the fan was pretty noisy as I recall. If youget a chance, maby you could send or post a picture of the 1860 with the snow blower ont it :D

Larry
39LC

Postby calvin innes » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:24 am

Larry,
I haven't taken any pictures of the 1850 with the snow thrower yet, I am waiting for snow.... I figure taking a picture of a snow thrower in the weeds would be like taking a picture of a hay rake in the sand. :wink:
The fan on the 1850 did squeal considerably, but I pulled the console out of the ceiling and oiled the fans. They now run smooth and quiet. I will try out the heater today, 19 degrees just now. (Yesterday was 6 above and 25-30 mph wind.) At 30 degrees it starts fine without heat.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby Andy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:19 pm

There were at least 6 shades of green used, if you count the Mist Green machines. 5 standard shades of green. I think there were a couple on the Hart Parrs, in about 36 or 38 there was a change for the 70's, then Fleetlines had a code up until about 52, the late ones had a lighter green, which continued thru later models. My notes show 5 codes for green wheel tractors. This does not account for the few Mist Green tractors that were built. Once Bob Tallman told me not to worry so much about the shade of green, he had gotten all kinds of different shades in on new Olivers when he was a dealer. I suppose the shade could have varied some. Lyle Dumont can probably help you out with paint codes. There has always been some question surrounding paint codes. One of these days I intend to go thru the parts books, I have most of them, and see if there is a way to decypher this info using part numbers. Another long term project I have been playing with for a few years is to colorize the old photos. I have had some success with this, but need some better software. I just haven't found any that particularly suit the application. But, I have gotten close a couple of times. Remember the black and white televisions, the ones that we had to be lucky to watch, a store in town left one on until bedtime, then turned it off, we could watch it thru the store window, we knew what was supposed to be what color by the grayscale. A big problem we are facing in paint colors is with the paint manufacturers, they simply don't keep the old formulas. Add the EPA to this and you have to really be observant. For instance, I am working on a project Cletrac HG, a 1944, it should be Cletrac Orange. I bought small cans of paint from 3 different paint suppliers, each code was crossed over to the correct formula. Of the 3 only PPG was close, the other 2 crossed directly to Prarie Gold. I found this out by going back to the stores and researching the formulas, Martin Senour, and Dupont both gave the exact formula for Prarie Gold when asking for Cletrac Orange. When I took a sample to be analyzed, we got the correct shade for Cletrac Orange, and the formula was considerably different.
Have a great day!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby 39LC » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:42 pm

That's true Andy, but the difference in the color green that I am talking about is really different than the old dark green of the early HP 70's.

I don't really classify that as a different "shade" of green, but a different color altogether. A lot of guys that paint their HP 70's that light green color also paint the rims red. I don't think that happened until around 1940 or so.

Thanx for the input though. Larry
39LC

Postby calvin innes » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:53 am

Larry,
I have the same problem of sorts. I have a 1937 HP-70 and it is painted dark green, but is not as dark as the older tractors, nor is it the meadow green of the newest tractors. I have 2 engine panels that are only primed and I can't match the paint....admittedly, I haven't put much effort to getting a match. I got this tractor from a fella out in eastern Iowa, I could probably search him out and see if he remembers what green he used....first thing is gonna be to get it running again... this weekend maybe.
Cal

By the way... the 1850 block heater works well !
calvin innes

Postby Andy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:10 am

OK guys, here is the skinny. If you have a part with the original paint on it, the part is at least 2"x2" and you can get the oxide or whatever may be on it, so the original color or shade is correct,. Larger NAPA stores have color computers that can be used to produce a formula to mix that exact color of paint. Smaller NAPA stores generally can have to send it out to their warehouse or a larger store to get this done. NAPA carries Martin Senour paint.
Have a great day!!
Andy
Andy

Postby Emmaking » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Your post is do great.go ahead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

obd2 cables|obdii code scanner
Emmaking

Return to Miscellaneous Forum