crops

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

crops

Postby kcoers » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:34 pm

How's everyone's crop doing? I've found some good and ten miles away xxxxxxxxxtra good. We had really spotty rains this year
kcoers

Postby Former admin Chris L » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:47 am

I ran about 200 feet of soys Sunday evening, and that was enough to show me that they aren't quite dry enough yet. Supposed to rain tomorrow, and we might have some snow by Friday. Looks like it will be next week before I get to do much harvest. But everything sure looks good.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

crops

Postby Frank Learned » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:24 am

Seems to be a lot of corn boror damage in our area. Yields are generely good in spite of moisture shortage however.
Frank Learned

Postby edchainsaw » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:39 pm

nothing special at all here... just to dry in august-- then too wet in septemeber I couldnt even get my hay baled
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby 995Lugmatic » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:40 pm

My good friends over in the bootheel of Missouri are reporting 50 bushel beans, and 3 bale cotton which is as good as they have ever had.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"
995Lugmatic

Postby edchainsaw » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:33 pm

any more around here 50bu beans is average... most of ours are not 50. corns been close to 140-150 thats only a tad off.

its now so wet so wet.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby calvin innes » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:39 pm

We dug our potatoes from the family garden this afternoon. Had to wait for the frost to leave the soil... nearly an inch deep now. I can't say the yield is good, but they had no scabs, there were no mice/moles eating any, and none rotted, so no complaints here!. Rain predicted for tomorrow so we got "em all up today. We run an old one row pto drive potato digger on the super 77...sure beats digging by hand!
Cal
calvin innes

Postby 39LC » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:19 am

I raked alfalfa today!!!! High temp. was 34 F. Man it was cold, and I figured it was so cold because making hay is a warm weather sport, so it just felt colder than it was!

Larry Coltrin
39LC

Postby Former admin Chris L » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:08 am

How's this one? I planted wheat yesterday, until the snow got deep enough that it was plugging between the openers and keeping the seeds from going in the ground.

Obviously you're on the right side of the lake, Larry. We just kept getting band after band of lake effect snow. It should melt off later today....
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby edchainsaw » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:30 pm

we finnished beans today... got the semi stuck 2 times this morning on just 1 load...

we picked some corn tonight it was about 125bu/a @17%

still have 500acres to go here.
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

crops

Postby kcoers » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:41 am

Beans at our place avg'd 53 bu. I should have my corn later today. I still haven't gotten all the scale tickets added up
kcoers

)

Postby 39LC » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:25 pm

I feel for ya Chris, and everybody else that's fighting their way through the weather.
Been trying to bale since yesterday lat eafternoon. Everything broke down. The N. H. 56 rake (not too bad), the old Hesston PT 10 (bolt broke on sickel pully) 720 baler(u-joint) 620 baler....I think that all this stuff only works when it's above 70 egrees! Dosen't like to be yanked out of the barn in November! (neither do I!) It's hard to tie broken bales with frozen fingers.
Larry
39LC

)

Postby 39LC » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:26 pm

I feel for ya Chris, and everybody else that's fighting their way through the weather.
Been trying to bale since yesterday lat eafternoon. Everything broke down. The N. H. 56 rake (not too bad), the old Hesston PT 10 (bolt broke on sickel pully) 720 baler(u-joint) 620 baler....I think that all this stuff only works when it's above 70 egrees! Dosen't like to be yanked out of the barn in November! (neither do I!) It's hard to tie broken bales with frozen fingers.
Larry
39LC

Postby Andy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:31 pm

I took some samples on my beans and the guys next farm over. His was 13.6% moisture, mine 13.8. If warm weather hold out for a week or so, I am hoping for that to get down below 13%, which is what ADM wants for dry beans. Still a little wet in the field, but it is not very cold, we are still getting 70F days. About another week of that with a little wind ought to dry out the fields and beans nicely. Well, that is my plan anyhow, harvest the beans, and get a new clutch and tranny rebuild on the Pete, while I'm doing that. My beans look considerably better than last year, I've gotten good advice from my farming friends of HPOCA. Last year I got about 40 Bu/A, this year I am guessing it will improve by 10 or 20, which will get me about average for this area.
Take care!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby edchainsaw » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:49 pm

we try to harvest our beans at 14 or so as to not get as much shatter loss. (we put them in a bin with air)

some of ours started out at 14 in the morning and by 5pm were 11% it was a cold day too. just sunny

we have not seen 70 here for what 3wks ... maybe 1 day once it was 69...

we hauled 3 loads off one was 13.5 next 12.7 last 13.2 .... not much chance of getting what you want it to be LOL!
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby Andy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:57 pm

Hey Eddie,
That is not all there is to the situation. I can't get the big truck in the shop for a week, but the throwout bearing is making considerable noise, with a million miles on it, I'd say it has seen better days. Still yet, it will go a couple of weeks or months if I baby it. The Buckeyes have our annual meeting in Plain City, OH next Saturday. I'm guessing it will work to hold off until next Friday, put my big truck in the shop, then go to Plain City on Saturday. Monday I can go get my flywheel, put it in the machine shop, and get new tranny oil, take that back to the truck. Then while my truck is being fixed up I can cut beans. The beans are not the objective, it is the truck that makes the most money for me. I'm just creating downtime when I can use it most effectively!
Have a great day!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:07 am

Hey Eddie,
I am still way ahead of last year. I cut beans that were wet in the end of Nov. last year, had to take that notorious double dock on them. Besides anything I get is gravy, the way I figure it. I planted beans so that I could use Roundup and clean the place up some. We normally raise hay, can't use Roundup on that, well, unless it is that new alfalfa, and it is going over $300 a bag here.
Take care!!
Andy
Andy

Postby edchainsaw » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:35 pm

LOL ya that roundup alfalfa is expensive stuff.

I understand that truck beeing top priority and all..
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Return to Miscellaneous Forum