Any good stories to tell about shows this weekend?

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

Any good stories to tell about shows this weekend?

Postby kcoers » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:48 am

Anyone have any good stories to tell that happened at shows this weekend?
kcoers

good shows

Postby calvin innes » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 pm

well, I was kinda waiting to see if anyone was going to write about the
Dover show. I am surprised no one has. Anybody go?
My wife and I went to the Dover show and had a great time. I thought there was a good turnout of tractors! I was surprised to see all the 2255's.... thats a lot of tractor to haul over the road. But there were several 2655's also.
For a new Englander who never saw threshing it was a first for me and the folks who owned the thresher were truly patient with me and all the questions.
The weather was fair if perhaps a little humid, but no one seemed to notice.
Thanks to all those who worked so hard to bring everything together!

I attended a small one day show this weekend and there were a variety of tractors there including 3 Olivers, a Super55, a super77, and a 1650. They even had a short tractor parade.
There seems to be more and more interest in Olivers around here... that's a good thing!
calvin innes

Postby SPeterson » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:23 pm

I thought the Dover show was well run and I too was amazed at the 2255s in attendance. Even more amazing was the line of Hi crops across the road from Wally the hat man and I. The MMs on display were pretty cool too, from the weathervane tractor to the Mini Four wheel drive that had been made from a couple of MinnieMo tractors and looked as if the factory did it.
The only downside I saw was when the tractor parade was lining up nobody dared to shut their tractor off for fear it wouldn't start again and left some of us choking on too rich exhaust fumes for a half an hour. I wouldn't complain but I couldn't just move.
The attractions nearby such as the Warther's carving museum and the Amish farm were well worth the price of admission. We got to see a little of Ohio such as the National Air Force museum and the Wright brothers museum in Dayton pretty cool stuff except for the empty lots where the Wright's house and Bike shop were removed along with a couple of feet of dirt underneath and hauled to Dearborn by Henry Ford.
The following weekend we attended the Oliver show in Goodells MI. What a nice park the show was held in although attendance was light and we had rain on Sunday it was a nice show none the less. After being gone for two weeks I was glad to be home! (I could hear my recliner calling me)
Steve Peterson
SPeterson

Postby 39LC » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:26 pm

I spent most of the show in the HPOCA booth. Got to look over some of the display tractors a little less than I would have liked to, but it was worth the time meeting so many HPOCA folks that stopped by the booth.

I agree that the show was well run. The banquet was also a high spot for the weekend, and congrats go to Lee Smith and wife for an outstanding job. You'll go a far piece to find a better human being.

In fact, the onlything I didn't like about the show was that bowl of pasta noodles with gravy....whew boy! not my cup of tea. I tried to give it to Harley dog and even he turned his nose up at it!

Larry Coltrin
39LC

Postby calvin innes » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:59 am

Larry,
Did the HPOCA have a guest book where members can sign in at the booth or is it something they would ever consider? It might be nice for other visiting members to be able to leaf through to see who else made it to the show and a good place for comments.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby 39LC » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:14 pm

Hi Cal,

I don't think so, but it sounds like a great idea. If I don't forget, I'll make sure to have one for next year.

Larry
39LC

Postby Former admin Chris L » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:51 am

The thing that really impressed me about Dover was the variety. There was a little of everything to see. Big, small, new, old. There was a good representation of the Oliver line there,
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby Shep VA » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:08 pm

Hey Chris,

When are you going to get the pictures from the Dover show up??

I have a pile of pictures from the show and have been posting some on the ytmag site, if you want to use any feel free or let me know and I can send you some.
Shep VA

Postby Former admin Chris L » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:06 pm

Shep,

I took over 500 pictures, and still didn't get everything. I hear your 1655 Cummins was there, but I didn't get a picture of it. I took quite a few pictures of serial number tags for my research, and close ups of others for future articles. Plus there are a few of a little girl in there as well. I am going to be going through them soon to pick out ones for the magazine, and some for the web site. Hopefully in the next week I'll have a bunch of them up.

I can use your pictures as well, or I can set up a photo album for you to upload them to. It would save having to upload them twice so to speak. But what ever works best for you.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby Shep VA » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:12 pm

Whatever you want to do Chris, I would be glad to share my pictures from the show if you want them. If you want to set up a place I can upload them to that would be great, use what you want.

I cant wait to see all of your pictures too. You are right there was just too much going on to see it all.
Shep VA

Postby Former admin Chris L » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:26 pm

Shep,

I finally got around to uploading the pictures. 254 in all, and I still didn't get everything.

Drop me an email with a username and password and I'll get it set up so you can upload you pictures as well. I really have liked the ones you have posted on the YT forum. I'm sure there's more where they came from.

Also, Calvin, if you want, I can set up an album for you to upload your pictures to, and I can add the ones you have already emailed to me.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby calvin innes » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:18 pm

Hi Chris,
Sure, set up an album... this ol' computer is kinda slow so I can do only a few at a time, but I'm up for it!
I have been checking out the pix posted on the YT site also, thanks Shep! Cal
calvin innes

Postby Former admin Chris L » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:55 am

Cal,

I've got an album set up for you, and added the pictures that you have already emailed to me. Looking forward to more.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

photo album

Postby calvin innes » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:50 am

Hi Chris,
I have added more pictures to the Dover album and I have more to go,but it is a slow process on my end. I still have more to add.
It is too bad I don't know the owners of any of the tractors. Chris, if you or anyone else recognizes any of their tractors, I would be glad to add in any info about the tractor. Send me a note with the picture number and I can add in the info.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby Former admin Chris L » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:15 am

Actually, anybody can leave info or comments on the pictures. When you click on a picture in an album and make it large, there is a form at the bottom where a person can leave comments. This also goes into the search engine that is built into the Photo Barn, and makes it easier to find pictures of specific things. So post away, it just ads to the experience!
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Postby edchainsaw » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:28 pm

I have a story not a good one.

local "big" show 2 wks ago.

as everyone was beating the rush and trying to leave the show before noon on the last day (SHAME SHAME SHAME ON you that live 6miles away leaving so soon)

the guy was pulling a gooseneck with a wagon hitched on behind.
He was leaving by a gate that was for people to enter (ya dumb).
He turned to short and the tractor tire caught the hatch opening of the ticket booth and brought it down on a lady and her husband.

I saw this all happen while sitting in the line getting ready for the parade. I know somepeople have to leave early to get home I understand that but this guy was 6miles from home; the lady he scared up was his neighbor (who was just comeing in and paying $4) to see a show. They put stiches on her and took care of her but her DAY was ruined. and they show now has a mess to deal with --- if your going to leave a show --- take the right exits please... just like takign the right entrances... its really important!
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

show

Postby kcoers » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:05 am

i tend to agree with you, it seems the closer people live to the show, the faster they need to "escape". its a shame that its that way. I certainly hope the lady wasn't hurt too bad.
kcoers

Return to Miscellaneous Forum