rain, rain and more rain

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

rain, rain and more rain

Postby 39LC » Thu May 18, 2006 4:08 pm

Hey Calvin, are you O.K. or floating away! Hard to believe the daily totals coming in from your area! Hope Your all high and dry.

Larry Coltrin
39LC

Postby calvin innes » Thu May 18, 2006 8:00 pm

...well, we are up at 900 feet, so it seemed like the correct place to begin building an ark....Yep, plenty of rain, nothing devistating here, but 80 or 100 miles north, it is a different matter. Rain predicted for tonight too, some folks are concerned about corn germination... time will tell. The hay crop is beautiful, but can't picture when it will ever be cut :(
The rivers around here have been spectacular and much of the lowest(and best) crop land is under1/2 to 3 feet of water, however water is dropping quickly.
I had the boys remove some of the weir boards in a dam in one of the state forests I look after before the worst of the rains began... it saved the dam, but was still up into the emergency spillway.
Sunny today & 70 degrees! 8)
Cal
calvin innes

Postby calvin innes » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:40 am

....looks loke we can put the Ark plans on the shelf for awhile....sun is out today and forecast to be some good haying weather finally!
Cal
calvin innes

Re:

Postby Andy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:27 pm

Yesterday afternoon, my ground finally got dry enough tp plant soybeans without getting my White 5400 planter plugged up with mud. I did get one unit plugged, early, but by the time I unplugged it and got back to the field everything was working well. Then after getting about 7 acres planted, at 10 PM last night we started to get rain. I was going to plant the field regardless of the time, I have plenty of lights. The rain put a stop to that. I still have about 11 acres to finish. Went down to the field this afternoon, no way, too muddy again. We got .98 inch of rain last night, and were borderline as far as getting in the field before. It is supposed to dry out a little this week, so maybe toward the end of the week I will be able to finish planting. We have rolled up a good amount of haylage this year, Ron my farming buddy bought a new wrapper to continuously wrap haylage, it works well as long as we wrap up some individual rolls with the old machine to use as plugs for each end. We tried silage bags, they are a pain and don't work real good. They hold air and blow up when we start wrapping. We have been able to get in a good bit of dry hay also. Just about finished with hay, another 50 acres or so and it will be done until next cutting. Weather has been decent for hay here this year so far. I really like haylage, that is a lifesaver in this area, we don't have to consider drying time as being critical, like it is for dry hay. If we will not have conditions to make good dry hay, we just make haylage.
The problem has been with planting beans. Most of the suitable land here for this is bottoms along creeks and rivers. Most years toward the end of May these flood, so, I wait for the spring flood, then plant. This year has been a little different, there hasn't been enough rain to flood, but, there has been enough to keep the fields muddy. We did get dry weather earlier, and got the tillage done, but planting has been a get it when you can proposition.
Y'all take care now!!
Andy
Andy

Postby edchainsaw » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:16 pm

there is still 2 ac of beans to plant... (sitting neatly against the old wabash and erie cannal) its a damp ground so we wait we've needed a bit of rain this week.. so to night to insure rain I mowed 3acres of my best hay... :)

ya that should get a sprinkle LOL

the ground like andy said was just so damp --- not realy had any big rains but 1 a 3.5 inch job right in the middle of planting corn.. (not good on just planted corn if I must say so)

but this saturday--- NO HAY MY HIGHSCHOOL plays for the state BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP ( small school class) our coach's son plays and he's a senior... (not the best player but one of them---and they are good about it) and the coach is Retireing at the end... :)

GO LAKERS !
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

rain

Postby kcoers » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:41 am

ok guys, i got through with the first cutting of hay yesterday. Send in the rain, this was the first year in recent memory, that the first cutting didn't get rained on at all
kcoers

Postby 39LC » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:16 pm

I "sort of" finished my 1st cutting between showers. We had about 20 of 25 acres done when the pin that holds the timing arm on the needles worked loose. The ram stop failed and the ram did a number on the needles, smashing them into the knotters. Just got that Oliver 620 sending out good tight 65 lb bales on a consistant basis!!!

Got another hay guy to finish....when the current rain stops. The good news is that we are making 50 bales/acre. 1st cutting this year made three times what we made all of last year with the drought!

good luck, Larry Coltrin
39LC

Postby edchainsaw » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:36 pm

Dont you just hate that kinda luck Larry..

we need rain--- so I mowed hay... NO rain... hay dried out faster than expected.... big round baler beein in its 3rd decade of work decides it dont like it that dry... I work and work at unplugging the bugger... we brake one of the raddle bars on it.. and for the first time in its life BEND the face plate :( I throw wrnches at dad... oh it was a mess.

and I thnk Dad's sufferd heat stroke from it.... he's staggering around , and week, and dizzy....
if it dont rain we have to help the neighbor get some beans planted (he's yet to plant any) and I have to carry mail because the carrier's mother in law died... :( so Please pray we get rain I think the neighbors beans will be fine a day or 2 later.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby edchainsaw » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:37 pm

Dont you just hate that kinda luck Larry..

we need rain--- so I mowed hay... NO rain... hay dried out faster than expected.... big round baler beein in its 3rd decade of work decides it dont like it that dry... I work and work at unplugging the bugger... we brake one of the raddle bars on it.. and for the first time in its life BEND the face plate :( I throw wrnches at dad... oh it was a mess.

and I thnk Dad's sufferd heat stroke from it.... he's staggering around , and week, and dizzy....
if it dont rain we have to help the neighbor get some beans planted (he's yet to plant any) and I have to carry mail because the carrier's mother in law died... :( so Please pray we get rain I think the neighbors beans will be fine a day or 2 later.
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

rain, rain , rain

Postby kcoers » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:12 pm

It finally did rain this afternoon, pretty slow moving thunderstorm went through giving us an inch or so. I did fool that weatherman, by finishing up on that hay yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!
kcoers

Return to Miscellaneous Forum