Ethanol ?

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

Ethanol ?

Postby Terry Buelow » Sun May 14, 2006 11:36 am

Want to pose several questions, prompt discussion and not necessarily get involved in an argument on the pro's or con's of Ethanol or anger any farmers.
Should we be using Ethanol in our 30's, 40's, 50's etc. Oliver Tractors when they were designed to be run on leaded fuel or should we stick with unleaded only?
Will they run too "dry" since lead in gasoline was intended/used as a lubricant not just to crust and cake up on the valves?
Would it make a difference if we are just cruising or if we are actually working/pulling our engines in the field?
What is everyone's thoughts on lead substitute? It is available as an additive to mix with 20 gallons of gasoline. Yes-No ?
Terry Buelow

Postby edchainsaw » Sun May 14, 2006 3:17 pm

begining with unleaded fuel:

if youre tractor had new valves since 1970 you will be fine with unleaded gas. We use to use the addative and had a lot of problems with it settling out and plugging lines and carburators with it. Then I heard JEFF BROOKS a mechanic on the radio and he said when he was a kid when a 50's era car was having problems.... as a mechanic back then he said he use to perscribe using WHITE GAS---- AKA unleaded.
From that time on I have not worried one bit about the lead or the additive.

and the only problem we have ever had with Ethonal fuel was it cleaned out a fuel tank and plugged some jets in a carburator. That wouldnt have happend if there had been a good filter on the line.

now remember I am not a professional but someone that has ran this stuff === since 1966 and these are just my observations on more than one brand, more than one type of fuel, but I admit a bias FOR green fuels!
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby edchainsaw » Sun May 14, 2006 3:17 pm

begining with unleaded fuel:

if youre tractor had new valves since 1970 you will be fine with unleaded gas. We use to use the addative and had a lot of problems with it settling out and plugging lines and carburators with it. Then I heard JEFF BROOKS a mechanic on the radio and he said when he was a kid when a 50's era car was having problems.... as a mechanic back then he said he use to perscribe using WHITE GAS---- AKA unleaded.
From that time on I have not worried one bit about the lead or the additive.

and the only problem we have ever had with Ethonal fuel was it cleaned out a fuel tank and plugged some jets in a carburator. That wouldnt have happend if there had been a good filter on the line.

now remember I am not a professional but someone that has ran this stuff === since 1966 and these are just my observations on more than one brand, more than one type of fuel, but I admit a bias FOR green fuels!
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Return to Miscellaneous Forum