It's good to see Spring again!!

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

It's good to see Spring again!!

Postby 39LC » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:40 pm

Hopped on one of the 770's this sunny and 70 degree afternoon. I took a ride around the alfalfa field. Man, it's good to see it all turning green again.

Makes me feel itchy all over just thinking about making hay!
spread some fertilizer 2 weeks ago and we've been getting some rain off and on......enough to make it grow. Calling for t-storms thru Sunday.
After last years drought, I'm really gun shy.
Come on rain!!
Larry
39LC

Postby Wrenchbender » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:14 am

Hey Larry,

I know what you mean! I started doing a little plowing, yes plowing, yesterday with the 1750 and 548. Nothing like the smell of that fresh soil!

The hay and wheat are greening up real nice, a little warm weather and it will really grow. WB.
Wrenchbender

Postby edchainsaw » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:55 pm

used the 1955 and a grader blade between Mail runs... didnt leave much time to actually work but maybe tomarrow.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:07 pm

Hey Larry,
I hope this year does better than last for you, I'd bet the horses do too. I won't see alfalfa on this farm until next year. I am using Roundup soybeans last year and this year to get rid of those pesky weeds, and to be able to bring soil nutrients to the levels that alfalfa does well in. Soybeans will work well with 7.0 Ph even a little higher, alfalfa does poorly in our area below 7.0 Ph. I am right about 7.0 now, and will put on a ton of lime an acre before discing, then this fall I'll put on another ton an acre, before putting in wheat. Next April I will drill in the alfalfa while the wheat is short. The wheat will protect the small alfalfa plants, but they will stay small until I combine the wheat, and the sun gets to them, then they will shoot up quickly, and august/september, I will get stubble alfalfa. I use little or no nitrogen on legumes, I do innoculate every time I plant, that fixes the nitrogen the plants produce. Actually it can stunt nitrogen production by applying nitrogen in legumes, so, in most of my crops I avoid using nitrogen, I use some on corn or grass hay, in the garden, etc. I use lots of lime and potash, some phosphate. Generally, about twice what the soil test calls for. I still have about a month before I need to plant, so, I'm getting the machinery in shape. I'll probably put out half an acre or so of Hickory King the white corn prefered by grinders and deer in these parts. I spend lots of time shooting deer, so that I can get a 5 gallon bucket of corn to make some meal. I was told about a trick of stringing fishline around to keep deer out, I think I'll try it. But, I'll still need to shoot the ones in the beans. DNR did a good job around here in increasing deer population, too good. Now, they introduced coyotes to reduce the deer. I haven't seen coyote, or sign, but I'm looking, and Harley Dawg is not allowed outside at night. They come after him it would be war! When I do see sign, I guess I'll need to dig up the IR stuff. There has been some coyote sightings near here, but so far they haven't made it across the highway. As for John's idea about plowing, as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out. I can't decide which I like best, the smell of newly turned soil, or freshly cut hay, been trying to decide for 50 years or so, still can't make up my mind, I like them both.
Take care!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby calvin innes » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:27 pm

Rain here since Friday night, so no plowing. Yep, the newly turned soil sure smells sweet.... unless you are plowing for the neighbor and he loaded it up with chicken manure! Dang, it's bad! At a hundred bucks a tractor trailer load delivered to the field....it sure does grow corn! after a couple of hours of plowing the sharpness of the odor dulls the olfactory senses so the plowing gets easier! :lol:
Cal'
calvin innes

Return to Miscellaneous Forum