A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

Postby Jake Lessen » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:01 pm

We have a tractor at home that has an interesting background. At first glance, its green and white, and the name plates and stickers all say Oliver 1855. However, some of the paint is coming off and it's yellow underneath. Furthermore, if you look at the serial number plate, it says "Minneapolis-Moline" Model number 585-22729, serial number 22988-685. The front grille is a minneapolis grille too. Apparently, when the tractor was ordered, it came as a Minneapolis, yellow and everything, but with Oliver name tags. The guy that bought it didn't like yellow, and told the dealer to take it back and get him an Oliver, so the dealer took it back, had it painted green and white, and sold it to him. How many "mislabeled" tractors like this are out there? Is this just a random occurence, or are there more of these?
Jake Lessen

Postby Wrenchbender » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:57 pm

It's hard to say how many may have been repainted. Does it have the tapered Oliver emblems one the hood sides? There's a tractor near here that I haven't got a good look at, but I think it might have been a Moline to begin with and was repainted green. Got any pictures? WB.

Postby edchainsaw » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:32 pm

several years ago at the TIPTON show (featured Moline) there was an 1855 in Moline skins but had at one time been green (enough I could see the green in spots )

it had the moline grill and plates and was yellow once again.. but someone must have wanted it green once... ( or was that the original factory color and the yellow came as an overlay)....

anyway I get long winded.
EDDIE that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:21 am

Another thing I have run into is the junkyard thing. Sometimes tractors get wrecked, or messed up somehow, folks will go to the junkyard for used parts. The guys there know what will fit and work, they have no concern for keeping anything original, that is unless it involves extra money, their concern is in selling parts. They sell parts that will work, and it may very well be a different color. I doubt that this is the case here, probably something a dealer did, they like to sell also.

Have a great day!!!

Return to Miscellaneous Forum