BARABOO ???Did it happen??

A forum for the discussion of anything that doesn't fit into the other categories. Just remember to keep it friendly

BARABOO ???Did it happen??

Postby calvin innes » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:17 pm

Anybody go to Baraboo?
I figured someone would write a little something by now....... heard there were gonna be some Olivers there.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby edchainsaw » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:03 pm

I was waiting too...

I didnt stop by the tent at the FPS either thought I am sorry we walked right threw it (dad needed to be heading home)
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby Oliver66 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:17 am

Yes it did happen!

After a series of tornadoes left the area Thursday nite the weather was nice and it turned out to be one of the best national shows that I have been to. Unofficially there were 440 Oliver, Hart-Parr, Cletrac, & Cockshutt tractors there. Also of those, 37 were the featured tractors, the Super 44 & 440. That was sure a lot of those to be sitting in one place. There were also some orchard & hi-crop Olivers too. Nice crowds for the 3 days.

I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout of both equipment and people. I had been hearing that with the ever increasing fuel prices that people were leaving their tractors home and not even coming themselves. When we left home in Iowa gas was $2.44 and around Baraboo it was $2.70. Things have changed in the last 2 weeks, yesterday gas was $2.83 at the same station in Iowa.

Marc Sletten
Oliver66

Re:

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:11 pm

Hey Marc,
I just payed $3.29, this afternoon. A friend stopped by to get some Roundup, he was a few gallons short. He told me gas was supposed to go up again tomorrow, it had just gone up $.56 earlier this week. Ron is known to be reliable on markets, so, I went and filled up my car, $70, I can remember when I could fill the bulk tank for about the same money. I don't know where this is going, but it is rediculous, should have invested heavier in petroleum stocks, they are showing a 400% increase in profit over last year with 4 months yet to go.

Have a great day!!!

Andy
Andy

Postby calvin innes » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:28 pm

Glad to hear that there was a good turnout! Wish I was there. What sort of implements were there? I just drove through Baraboo Monday night on the return from dropping my son off at school but couldn't work the show in to the trip.... talk about poor timing!
I went through town here this afternoon to go chop corn for a neighbor and on the return diesel had jumped 10 cents! Now $3.01/ gal .......Hope you folks don't heat with oil!
Cal
calvin innes

Postby 39LC » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:48 pm

Cal, there was a ton of Oliver plows there, some potatoe harvesters and planters and at least one set of mounted cultivators on a 70.

The front of the building looked like a sales lot running specials on 44's & 440's. I've never seen so many in one place that looked so good.

I agree with Marc that this was the best show yet. The tractors ranged from old Hart Parrs to White's and included everything in between. Some of the restorations were unbelivable in quality.

I was lucky enough to find a NOS knotter for my 620 baler, been having trouble with one knotter and this fills the bill.....I hope! It's always neat to meet people that You chat with on the forums and the highlite this year was to meet a young man from Wisconsin who has restored a 1600 and cronicled the undertaking on the YT forum. His name is Donovan, and I met him and his father at the 1600. Really a nice young man

Too bad you couldn't get there, it was a good one!!

Larry Coltrin
39LC

Re:

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:21 pm

Hey Cal,
There was a general array of pull behind type implements, exactly what, I couldn't name each item, but there was a row of those items. There was several thresher boxes, and similar machines I suppose were intended for tasks in dairy farming, we don't have that type here. One machine they were feeding with corn, it seemed to be shredding it up, my guess is it would be some sort of silage chopper. I saw a rock crusher working, of course my favorite is a saw mill, they were sawing logs into lumber. Good way to get material to build with. Their supply of belt driven machinery was impressive. There was even an operating steam roller. I wish you had been there, I would have liked meeting you. as many tractor messages as we have exchanged. I don't know about diesel fuel right now, I haven't taken the truck out since the Monday before Baraboo. I pulled my lease that day, imagine them telling me I would have to work and not go to the show. My reply was something like PayCheck it! You know, something like Johnny PayCheck wrote a song about. So, I've been doing some maintence the last week or so, oh, I went down and leased on with another motor carrier when I got back from Baraboo. Made my feeling, and requirements perfectly well known. 3 HPOCA events every year, 2 American Legion conventions, or 3 if the National convention doesn't conflict with HPOCA Summer Show, normally it does. And anything else that I want to do, seeing I own my business. They agreed, but then again the last to motor carriers agreed, until they thought they could control me, but, that ain't happening!!!! I do get a break on fuel, at some places, I have arrangements with a fuel system, and pay $.05 above the wholesale price delivered to the facility. I don't know what the cost is until I am billed, could call and find out though, but, it wouldn't make any difference, I buy cheaper than pump price. I thought most folk who used oil heat bought under contract early, when fuel oil is cheaper, and got locked in for the season. I guess you would know more about that than I do, living in the NE. I heard oil heat is popular there. Most folk here use coal, wood, or natural gas, some electric, oil is a big exception here.
Have a great day!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby edchainsaw » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:33 pm

we use oil have for 38 yrs.. its by the tank with us.. (grampa's dad was the oil driver for 30yrs for the co-op) we now have to haul our own fuel to the tank because they have such a huge truck now it cant get in our drive and he dont like to drag that long hose that far.
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Postby calvin innes » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:26 pm

We can lock in heating oil prices for the winter...I just got a letter from the local oil service last night...$2.65/gal...I'll burn wood! (we always have anyway) It takes over 1000 gallons to heat this drafty old place otherwise. Coal is pretty much unheard of here, otherwise it is electric or propane.
I am determined to make the Ohio show next year and wil certainly bring something to show...probably the 1255 4wd oliver...factory red. Sort of different.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby edchainsaw » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:40 pm

that would be very different but good to see..

Local JD dealer "use to be a friend of the family until we baught this planter off him" has a super 55 Diesel for 4500... ( dont waste your time.. its VERY not good. for maybe 2000 I would think about it)

just thougth I would toss that in as added bonus.
EDDIE

A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Re:

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:34 am

Hey Cal,
I think I would burn wood, too! My house has natural gas heat, which has gone from less than $40 a month, to about $65 in the last couple of years. I don't know if that hurricane will affect it or not, we have lots of gas well around this area. If it does, I might look into getting one drilled on the farm, we own the gas rights, there is a gas deposit on the property, well, at least we know there is a gas well on the neighbors farm.
Some folk out past where the gas lines end use propane. Coal is free if someone is energetic enough to dig it out of a 'dog hole', I can get all I want for free, we have a member who works in a mine, he will give it to me.
I was talking to a fellow this summer in PA, where I was delivering, he was fussing about how much oil would cost him, about half what the market has risen to, he told me he had gone ahead and locked in the price for however much he would be needing, I think if I was to go see him today, he would probably be pretty happy he did.
I hope you make the Dover show, I'd like to meet you, I'm the dumb one with the old dog!!! We are working on our logistics already. Depending on what resources are available. If push comes to shove, John will bring the trailer to Louisville, then I'll hook to it and bring it over here after the machinery show, to load it on the semi, and haul it to the Florida show, then bring it back to go to Dover next summer. I'll need to leave a couple of tractors at home, but you can't drive but one or two at a time anyhow. Dover is close for me, only a couple hundred mines, so, I have all kinds of options on that. Unless a chapter needs the trailer, I would guess that is how things will work out. I will be at both shows regardless.And I probably will bring Oliver Hart Parr, 2-3 Plow Tractor # 17 and my 1945 HG-68, one of the late ones that was painted green, the earlier ones were orange, I also have a 1944, it is orange. Maybe some day I will get an early 1945, then I will need to get a 1946, so I can show the transition from Cletrac to Oliver. The Hart Parr is the most collectable, you can could the ones left on your fingers, there were only 76 built, counting the Nebraska test tractor, which was converted from a Rowcrop, and bears a Rowcrop SN, but I just like the little crawlers, my 1945 is a family tractor, my Grandfather bought it, and I have a ball playing with it. If my bigger Cletracs are agreeable, I intend to bring them to Dover, for the members to play with in the crawler pit, probably will bring a couple with bulldozer attachments. I just have to smooth the pit up before I leave is all, the DDH will make short work of that.
Bring your 1255, I bet it is really unique, FWD and high crops always are. There weren't many of either built.

Have a great day!!!

Andy
Andy

Postby Wrenchbender » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:57 pm

Hey Calvin, I hope you can make it to Dover also.

I saw a couple of interesting Fiat built tractors this week, they were Minnie Moes, an 850 and 950 i believe and they were SHARP! It's always neat to see the rare and one-off tractors. WB.
Wrenchbender

Postby calvin innes » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:04 pm

Greetings Andy,
As I get nearer to retirement I am less and less willing to be told when I can or can't take vacation or how long I can be gone. I have months of vacation.... so I have every intention of making the Dover show! I usually drive out rte 90 all the way from the east here and can get to South Bend, Ind. in a days drive without pushing, so I figure Dover can't be much different. I have a trailer capable of pulling two tractors, but would probably just bring the one.
A month or so ago I bought an OC-3 not running. I have it pretty well torn down right now, but I don't expect it will be "roadable" by then. Two pistons and 4 or 5 valves are well rusted and seized. It has been soaking in Mystery oil for 2 weeks plus. I just haven't found time to get back to it. This was originally green, although there is a lot of yellow under the green in places. I will repaint it yellow.... I operated one for quite a few winters skidding white pine so I guess I have a soft spot for little yellow Oliver OC-3 s' I always figured I would end up with one...Ijust never figured I would be doing so much work on it. This only has 3 speeds forward. The one I originally ran had dual transmissions.
Diesel.... $3.07 tonight when I came through town, Happy Days....
You mentioned the winter show in Florida....never been down there....winters are just fine right here, thank you! However I would seriously consider going down for a show.
We live in a state owned house here in the state forest where my wife is in charge. The house was built by the CCC from timber salvaged from the '38 hurricane....every bit as devistating to Connecticut as Katrina in the south, but it was so much more rural here then.Millions of board feet of timber were salvaged and then sunken in lakes and ponds temporarily until they could be sawn. This house was originally set up with a wood furnace because the CCC camp was right outside our door here and they cut all the firewood for the rangers residence(this house). being an older house, it is drafty, I can't sit on the couch in the evening because of the draft.... suppose I could move the couch... I will probably end up burning 6-8 cords this winter.... I can go down in back here(6 thousand acres of woodland) and cut to my hearts content.....splitting it all loses it intrigue after awhile tho'. I just can't see giving all my $$ away to the oil companies.
Yep, some can dig coal in the back yard, sme can tap the gas, and some can cut wood!!
Cal
calvin innes

Postby calvin innes » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:48 pm

Hello WB,
The little 1255 is a Fiat-built machine, 3cylinder diesel built in 1970. It is a good running little machine and quiet! Seems to have been well cared for. I have been using it for mowing most of the summer.
I shouldn't admit to this, but I have an '81 Kubota 55 horse 4WD and the two tractors are nearly identical. I had been using the Kubota parts manual to get parts for the Oliver... nearly everything interchanges. The oliver is smaller, about 42 horse.
I gotta stop going through town; every time I do , the fuel price goes up! Although,maybe they may hear me coming down the hill "Quick fellas, here he comes, move that price up some!!" Coming home tonight, diesel is $3.19....up again!
Cal
calvin innes

Return to Miscellaneous Forum