Club Bylaws

Have something you would like to see on this web site. Something you don't like? Maybe you are having trouble using the forums. Ask here, or email <a href="mailto:webmaster@hartparroliver.org"> webmaster@hartparroliver.org </a>for help.

Club Bylaws

Postby Bill Brandt » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:14 am

Having just joined HPOCA in 2002 I realize I am a &quot;new&quot; member and maybe this question has been answered before, if so somebody just tell me where to go to get the answer.

I would suppose that the club has a set of bylaws. When I joined I did not get a copy. Now I realize that providing paper copies to approx 6000 members could get rather expensive and most of them would probably be filed in the &quot;round file&quot;. However, I do think everyone should have access to a copy or the option of asking for a paper copy if they want to.

Therefore, I would like to suggest that they be posted on the website so that if anyone wants to look them up it would be easy to do.
Bill Brandt

Postby Terry » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:43 pm

Bill--thank you for your input. The bylaws were posted in the magazine a while back, when they were last voted on to be modified. You have a good idea, and I will bring it up for discussion at the next board meeting, which will be on March 28, at the winter get together. Thanks, Terry.
Terry

Postby Bill Brandt » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:18 pm

Terry:

Thanks for the reply.

Wish I could go to the get together. :(
Bill Brandt

Club Bylaws

Postby Bill Brandt » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:20 am

Does anyone have any idea when the bylaws will be posted on line?
Bill Brandt

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:48 pm

I don't! At Wentzville, MO, during the board meeting, the President ordered the webmaster to put them on the website. That was the last anyone heard about them. I suggest you address your concerns to Terry.
Andy

Postby sherry » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:57 pm

Per my &quot;orders&quot;, I typed the by-laws in and had them ready to upload right after Wentzville. However, due to the changes made in our membership office within the last year, the bylaws need ammended because they are not valid as they read now. The last thing I want to do is post misleading information. Therefore, the board was notified of my actions and I have not heard from them regarding this matter. I assume they're waiting until the next board meeting so ammendments can be made and voted on.
sherry

Postby Bill Brandt » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:10 am

Sherry:

Thanks for the information on the status of the by-laws on the web.:)
Bill Brandt

Postby Terry » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:59 pm

Before the bylaws can be ammended, they will have to be submitted to the board for approval, and then voted on by the membership. Everyone understands that bylaws are always a work in progress, and subject to continued change. The bylaws as last voted on are valid and in effect until such time as they are voted on and changed. There are a couple of areas, such as membership renewals and official address that will need to be updated, but the current bylaws are still in effect, and should be posted on the website as last approved. Hope this will clear up some of the questions, and that we can get this resolved soon. Terry.
Terry

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:16 pm

For once I believe Terry and I agree. After researching Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, 10th edition, it is apparent that changes of address are outside the scope of parliamentary law, and actually should be considered very minor issues, sort of like swallow a camel, gag on a gnat. In addition, bylaws should be considered current and valid until changed or amended, and ratified by the members of the society. As far as the issue is concerned to the language of the current bylaws, there is nothing that would prevent the President from simply ordering a change of address, in compliance of his duties under Article IV Section E, Paragraph 1, under 'perform other duties necessary to the HPOCA'
Andy

Return to Site Comments and Suggestions Forum