Posted pictures

Have something you would like to see on this web site. Something you don't like? Maybe you are having trouble using the forums. Ask here, or email <a href="mailto:webmaster@hartparroliver.org"> webmaster@hartparroliver.org </a>for help.

Posted pictures

Postby calvin innes » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:24 pm

I just wanted to say thanks to Chris Losey and Steve Peterson for posting all the Florida show Pictures for those folks, such as I, who are not willing to give up the long johns, mittens,and overcoats for the chance to go to a sunny, warmer place. Looks like it was a great show.
Also, I like the new format of the homepage of the HPOCA website.
Thanks to all,
Cal :)
calvin innes

Postby SPeterson » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:30 pm

You are welcome Calvin. I just about had to go the the Winter show as our oldest son lives in southern Georgia my wife insisted we go. I guess I wasn't draging my feet either. We had a great time at the show although I wish I could have seen more, I was tending my booth most of the time. It is great to visit with collectors from other parts of the country. They say I sound like I am from up north. Hmmm...... I thought I spoke English without an accent!
Steve Peterson
SPeterson

Postby calvin innes » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:29 pm

Steve,
My son was attending U. Minnesota last semester up in Crookston...anywhere near you? And yes, the Minnesota folks do have a bit of and accent. Of course, no one from New England has an accent...yeah, right!
Cal
calvin innes

Re:

Postby Andy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:40 am

Hey Y'all,
If you use the word 'Hello' instead of 'Hey' for a greeting, or use 'folks', 'youins' or some other local term instead of the well used worldwide term of 'Y'all' or 'All y'all' for plural, you probably are not a redneck, and talk funny!!!! If you can 'Y'all' AND say 'Hey', you can probably fit in most places someone would want to go!!!
Later,
Andy
Andy

Postby SPeterson » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:08 am

calvin innes wrote:Steve,
My son was attending U. Minnesota last semester up in Crookston...anywhere near you? And yes, the Minnesota folks do have a bit of and accent. Of course, no one from New England has an accent...yeah, right!
Cal

That is about 150 miles NW of here. I am of Finnish and Swedish descent and it seems the Finnish accent is quite noticeable as it is only been one or two generations since most folks could speak their native tongue here. My son seemed to pick up the southern accent quite quickly after he moved to Georgia 10 years ago but the locals still hear his Minnesota accent.
Steve
SPeterson

Postby calvin innes » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:01 pm

Steve,
My wife is Norwegian, her folks came to the U.S. from Norway after WWII, but she was born here. We did some research on some of her relatives who Moved to Arondahl, Minn. down in the southeast corner of Minnesota way back just before the civil war (and he was killed at the battle of Shiloh). The other relatives moved out to North Dakota a little southwest of East Grand Forks,Minn. They settled there around 1890 or 1900. We went out to that area about 3 weeks ago. ... yep, there are a lot of Scandinavians out there!
Cal :shock:
calvin innes

Postby SPeterson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:36 am

Calvin
You will have to take your wife to the Norsk Hostfest mid October in Minot ND. It is the biggest Scandinavian celebration in the US or so I am told. We went there several years ago and had a good time seeing all the musical acts. They usually get a couple of bigger name singers there along with local talent and bands from the Scandinavian countries. Then you would be able to take in the Makoti Steam Show not too far from Minot. This takes place the weekend previous to the Hostfest.

http://www.hostfest.com/

http://www.makoti.net/
SPeterson

Postby calvin innes » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:18 pm

thanks for the info Steve... the wife says "yeah, we could do that" ... she always gets so excited.....
Cal
calvin innes

Return to Site Comments and Suggestions Forum