My new oc-4

Forum for the discussion of Cletrac related topics.

My new oc-4

Postby liljhon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:44 pm

I recently purchased an oc4....it was a bit of an impulse buy, but i have fallen in love with it. I have a few questions about it that I hope yall can help me with......it has a rebuilt Hercules 3 cylinder gas engine that runs really well. it has a 12 volt delco alternator, I have a couple of issues ...first is the left track seems to have to much slack in it, and want to tighten it , I have ordered a repair manual and an operators manual , that i hope will help out. also wanted to see about using it to move snow and to spread gravel on my driveway upstate as well s moving dirt.....can rubber be added to the track and made removable also? second problem is it seems to turn right better than left....is that because of the slack in the track<? is there fluid that needs to be checked? changed? what should i do to it as a new owner?.......I have put new battery in it, dined fuel and changed it, changed oil and filter,new plugs......where can I find a distributor cap and wire set, points and condenser? thanks to everyone in advance.......
BTW it runs good, i had to free up the throttle and replace the choke cable..
the meaning of impulse buy was, I purchased a case 580ck from a friend of a friend, the Oliver was sitting there with it in the ding weeds, and when I asked about it, he offered it to me with a 20' car trailer dual axle, for 3,000.....trailers worth about 1400-1800 .....and im happy with both, so i feel it was a good deal, but wanted some opinions.....thanks again to everyone, the breath of knowledge here is enormous.......
JS
JS
liljhon

Postby liljhon » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:47 pm

BREADTH......darn spell check haha
JS
liljhon

Postby Donald Lehman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Well, you made the first step by purchasing both operator and shop manuals. They will tell you about everything you need to know. The track tightner is just behind the front wheel. Loosen the lock nut and then tighten the track adjuster. If you are lucky there will be a crooked looking open end wrench in the tool box under the left side arm rest made specifically for adjusting the tracks. Lay a straight edge from the rear sprocket to the front wheel on top of the track. Tighten the track until you have 2 inches of droop in the track halfway between the front and rear. If in dry conditions you might want the track a tad tighter. The steering will not be affected by the track tension. wait until you get your manuals before fooling around with the steering adjustments.

Check out Landiss Zimmermans ad in the links section for parts and info on Oliver crawlers. And yes, your first impression is correct. They are very good little crawlers.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby liljhon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Thank you very much... No tools in box, but my dads a TV repair man......
I'm still waiting for the literature... Been tinkering with it, changed oil, re-wired it, added some lights to the back and a relay for the existing lights. Waiting to get it totally ready to work my property upstate and make her happy again...
JS
liljhon

Postby Donald Lehman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:14 pm

I expect Zimmermans can get you one of the wrenches. They also have the grease fitting ends for your grease gun to fit the button head grease fittings.

How far upstate? North or south of Syracuse? I'm about a hundered miles north of Syracuse.

Used to have a couple of old coots who came up this way from Long Island for a local muzzleloader shoot for several years. Delightful characters. Always kept us entertained around the campfire. :lol:
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Return to Cletrac Forum