OC3 Question

Forum for the discussion of Cletrac related topics.

OC3 Question

Postby Fred B » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Hello, I have a 1956 Oliver OC3. On the right hand side of the hood, there is a panel missing. The opening measures 3" x 16-1/2". I was told that owners cut these panels out of the hood to access the sparkplugs, however, the opening is not a jagged cut, it is a perfectly smooth cut as if done by a shear of some sort. The back side of the opening has a flat metal tab spot welded to the inside metal of the hood with a 3/8" hole in it -- I think to bolt the missing panel to. The front of the opening would use the existing hole in the radiator side sheet cover. I was told this is not a factory opening. This panel would have had the ribs pressed in it. Could this have been a bolt in panel from the factory? Any other ideas on this? Thank you in advance.
Fred B

Postby Fred B » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:36 pm

I thought I would add a picture of the opening in the hood. Click on picture. The arrow points to the rear tab that is spot welded to the inside of the hood metal.

Fred B

OC3 cut-out

Postby chrisvdv » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:33 pm

I have seen tons of hoods exactly like this on OC3s but never seen nor heard of anything that fixes to that tab!
Chris Van der Vyver
Earth to Spirit Fair Trade Co.
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

OC3s (various), early OC4, OC4 & OC46-3G Series Bs, OC4-3D Alftatrac (reno), Oliver 550 Gas & Diesel, Super 55, '45 Cletrac HG42, White 2-44 13LL, Oliver 700 Lull Hi-lift
chrisvdv

Postby Fred B » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Thank you for the response, Chris. My point in asking the question was I was thinking about the originality in the cut out in the hood. If it was home made, I wanted to weld a correct panel back into the hood. The tab that the arrow points to could have only been to hold the panel that was cut out of the hood.

The reason I'm thinking this is a factory cut is because there is no sign of saw marks. The cut is perfectly square. You can put a carpenter's square into the corner and it fits perfectly. The hood is not warped in any way from cutting. That is why I think it must have been done at the factory.

However, now I realize it really doesn't make any difference. Whoever did it, did such a good job I am going to bolt a panel back into the opening.

Also see my same question on the Oliver Page.

Thank you again for your comment.
Fred B

Postby chrisvdv » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:00 am

The cut-outs are definitely factory made.
Chris Van der Vyver
Earth to Spirit Fair Trade Co.
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

OC3s (various), early OC4, OC4 & OC46-3G Series Bs, OC4-3D Alftatrac (reno), Oliver 550 Gas & Diesel, Super 55, '45 Cletrac HG42, White 2-44 13LL, Oliver 700 Lull Hi-lift
chrisvdv

Postby Fred B » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 pm

http://cletrac.org/pages/contributor/pic-cover.html

I was looking on a Cletrac site and found the photo of Buster Cover's OC3 (from New Zealand) -- see link above.

I see it has the exact hood cutout as mine. I'm beginning to be convinced that along with chrisvdv that it is a factory cut out.
Fred B

Return to Cletrac Forum