OC-4

Forum for the discussion of Cletrac related topics.

OC-4

Postby Donald Lehman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:59 am

Got the shop manual and parts book from Mary-Ann last week. It's finally time to get into rebuilding my OC-4. Going to get a new battery and pull the carb and clean it and see if I can get it running. The transmission needs some work and the tracks and sprockets aren't the best. The engine ran well when it was used last except the center cylinder burned oil. Going to do a complete overhaul on the engine but it would be nice to get it running so I can get an idea of anything on the tractor that needs attention while the engine is out. Have several projects around the property that requires a bulldozer. My father did an incredible amount of work with that little dozer. Am looking forward to having it running again. Keep you posted on the project.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby Donald Lehman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:46 am

Didn't get the motor running, but it turns over in gear being towed. Rear sprokets aren't that bad but the tracks need to be bushed. The right track has about four inches of drop with the track tightner to the max. One track tightner is bent a bit, too. All the gears work except reverse. So far no big surprises. The vertical cylinders on the blade leveler on the right track frame look pretty rough. So far nothing has been found that would be a deal breaker as far as restoration is concerned. Piant is fair, but that is not a concern at this point. So far so good. No expensive surprises. Of course that could quickly change.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby Joe Tienstra » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:06 pm

Sounds good. Post some pix if you get a chance; would be nice to see the OC-4. Just got back from NC where I took the OC-3 for a nice spin around the neighborhood; have the rubber street cleats. Always gets a double glance from folks!! Runs well after a going-over at Zimmerman's. Wish it had drink holders, though. :wink:
Joe Tienstra

Postby Donald Lehman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:18 am

I just dropped Zimmermans a line about how to handle the shipping on a pair of tracks and sprockets. Had an OC-3 went for $1200 at a local action as is. ran okay but needed a little fine-tuning and TLC. had a loader on it. My father owned an OC-3 that he traded for the OC-4. He was a very good equipment operator who could get an outrageous amount of work done in a day with those small dozers. He could do it without beating them to death, too. I'll see about getting pics.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby Donald Lehman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:00 am

Progressing on the OC-4. Neighbor had a set of sprockets like new. My own sprokets can be renewed also. tracks are too far gone to be rebushed. Gousers are good so i just need the chian. Looking into several possible sources. Got a badly worn track tightner, close examination shows we can refurbish ourselves without replacing it. Wife just had back surgery, so haven't talked to the mechanic for a couple of weeks. Things are on a bit of a hold for the moment.

I am having trouble getting pics into my computer. Everytime I get a computer with a new windows program I like it less than the last program. Getting old I guess. If I get it figured out, I try to get some pics.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby Donald Lehman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:52 am

Got down to the motor. The bell housing is broke. Mechanic said the crossbolt on the frame wasn't as tight as it should be. Our guess is that this allowed the frame to flex enough to break the bell housing. Found another bell housing for a decnt price. Found a set of good tracks, too. Starter, generator and voltage regulator have all been refubished. New battery cables have been made up. Next step is to get into the tranny and find out what we need for the reverse gears. Intend to replace all of the tranny bearings while we are in there. Going to cost me a few bucks, but all in all this bulldozer is in remarkably good shape considering it has seen nearly 50 years of use.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby calvin innes » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:15 am

Don,
I have an OC-3 that I rebuilt the motor on but has been sitting for several years and has never been fired up since the rebuild. I think the transmission may be messed up as I think it locks up in one or more gears. How different is the Rear of the 3 and 4 ? With a cursory look I do not see how one would get at the gearing of the OC-3, unless it is through the rear. I am not sure I am interested in getting so involved in this little machine.... it just sits in the barn waiting......
Got any snow way out west in Loweville? None here in Maine.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby Donald Lehman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:22 pm

Calvin,
On the OC-4 the seat and fuel tank have to come off. The pulley assembly comes off the rear, but I don't know about access from there. My shop manual is at the mechanic who is doing the work on the crawler so I can't tell you much. My Father owned an OC-3 but it was traded for the OC-4 in 1958. I was 8 years old at the time so I really don't remember much about the thing. What I do remember is that my Father got an impressive amount of work out of that OC-3 for the size of the thing. Sorry I could be of more help. Maybe someone else reading this has more experience with the OC-3's can be of more help.
We have had a very mild winter so far. We did get about 4-6 inches of snow in that last lake effect weather pattern but today it is 44 degrees and the snow has settled to about 2-3 inches. We had just a dusting of snow last night, but the weather reports are calling for rain and snow mix over the next two or three days.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby calvin innes » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Donald,
The first OC-3 I ever saw/ran was one that was owned by the Dept. of Forestry in Connecticut. It had a Dearborn loader on it with a homebuilt V-plow. for such a little machine it sure could push snow! It had been sitting in a barn for a long time and I was originally told it was "just for Blizzards". It drove me nuts that we could not use it but I think the boss finally gave in 'cause he couldn't stand the crying. There was also a pin-trip bucket for it so I ended up switching it out and ended up using it a lot. Winters we worked in the pine forests thinning out the pine stands and pulled all the pine out to a landing with the little OC-3. It was the greatest machine in the woods, particularly in a tight stand. Once we had the pine skidded out to the landing we piled it onto a bucking deck of sorts where we cut the pine up into 18 inch "bolts" to be used for wood shingles as forestry had their own shingle mill. The Little Oliver was an industrial (OC-3-42-IND... I still remember it) it did not have the usual pan seat, but a seat with armrests and also had the double transmissions. The poor little machine never had a decent air cleaner on it so over time the engine lost power from taking in dirt. It finally seized from sitting and was taken to auction but I saved a lot of parts from it. Wish I had that little machine now, in high gear it seemed to fly!
My cousin lives just down the road from me here and he had an OC-4 that he tried to give to me but I did not take it. It had a straight blade with manual angle... a nice little machine but had a lot of late night repairs....
Some snow due tonight.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby Donald Lehman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:28 am

I have pictures from 1949 where my father and his cousin were digging our farm pond and the cousin (a contractor) was working with a drag line on a tracked shovel and a TD-24. Pop was trying to move dirt with a blade on a WC Allis Chalmers tractor. I think that's about the time he decided that even a tiny dozer like the OC-3 was far superior to a tractor for serious earthmoving and stone removal. I can remember things to do with tractors as far back as 3 years old and I always remember the OC-3 being around. So pop had to have purchased the thing between 1950 and 1953. We had 50 acres of land on the Black River flood plain and we would store around 5-7,000 bales of hay in the barn on the flats because we couldn't store it at home. About janurary when we had used up all of our straw for bedding, we would load up the OC-3 (and later the OC-4) and plow snow out of the road down to the barn to load up the flat hay, take it home and run it through and old Blizzard ensilage cutter for bedding. From the highway to the barn was about a mile and some years we'd be plowing 4-5 ft. deep hard packed snow but that little OC-3 always did the job.Had a chance to pick up an OC-3 at an acution this fall, but it went for more than I wanted to pay for it. It was worth what it went for, but I elected to save my money and put it in the OC-4. Our OC-4 has the manual angle blade and the hydraulic leveler on the right side. Pop never did much work in the woods, but once I get the dozer back it will see some use building some new suger-bush roads and possibly some skidding where I can't manuver with the 1955. Since the dozer has been down for ten years or so, most of my field roads need repair and replacement of several sleuce pipes, too.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby calvin innes » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Do you go into the sugarbush with the OC-4, i.e., pulling a gathering tank? I had heard that a little dozer was kinder on the maple roots. As for me most of the trees are roadside but we have one area on a steep side hill so that is all set out in tubing. We were clearing another small area this week where we can run tubing. It is/was full of hawthorn and balsam fir. No trees dripping here yet... too cold and I am glad. The sugarhouse got a thorough revamp this fall, new cement floor, new siding and paneling on the interior... stainless steel counter and new lighting as well.
I would like to have a decent single axle trailer so I could put the gathering tank on that and then be able to use one of the Olivers for gathering. Last winter we had to plow back the snow banks to get at the trees.... this year ....no snow! (we had 3/4 inch last night)
I think it is cool that you have family pix of the old equipment working. I have one picture of the little OC-3 being used in the forest but don't know where it is at the moment..... taken about 1975.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby Donald Lehman » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:09 am

Cal,

Last year is the first year in 30 years or so we have tapped trees. We used to boil on a 8x12 black pan over an arch right out in the open. All bucket taps of course. A gentleman who buys hay from me tapped about 120 taps in one parcel and we tapped another 100 or so ourselves for the grandkids to have something to do. Those taps we had my sons best friend boil in his sugar house. We ended up with enough syrup to satisfy the family needs plus a few bucks. I gathered last spring with my 420 JD with a set of chains on. We would have tapped a few more but the snow level made it more wear and tear on the 420 than it was worth. Besides it was just enough trees to get the grandkids into the process. We used a tank on the back end of an old manure spreader. Worked well. Way back when we used the OC-4 to gather with because the crawler didn't tear up the muddy meadows the way a wheel tractor did. Worked quite well. If it is just snow I am contending with I can use the 1955. If it gets muddy, I'll use the OC-4. I intend to tap a few more trees this year. last year was a very good year in this area. We will probably tap more trees and not get much more yeild. Nobody I know has done much here yet as far as tapping. But with the mild winter, I expect our trees will start running a bit earlier this year. On some years we start making syrup as early as mid feb., but that is uncommon. Usually early march things get going. Last year we made more syrup in April than March. All of the trees we have tapped so far are within walking distance of one road or another.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby DGH » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:49 pm

The transmission and differential of the OC 3 is different from that of the OC 4. They are very similar in design but parts are not inter-changeable.
The OC 3 has a 3 speed tranny and the OC 4 has a 4 speed tranny. The crown gear and pinion in the OC 4 is a matched set, they are not in the OC 3.
DGH

Postby calvin innes » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 am

Thanks for that. I think I have a problem with the transmission. Mind you, I have not started it since the engine rebuild several years ago, but the transmission seems to lock up in some gears (maybe 1st, 2nd) and it almost seems as if there may be something broken in the shifter. I don't see how I can take a look inside at the gears without really tearing it down. Is there any relatively simple way to inspect the gears?
Cal
calvin innes

Postby DGH » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:15 pm

There is no easy way to see inside the transmission, it must come out to get inside. That is alot of work, nothing real difficult just work. Both tracks, track frames, sprockets and final drives have to be removed so you can take the two differential carrier bear quills off. They extend into the side frames and have to be removed to slide the transmission housing out the back. Once out, the shift assembley comes off the right side of the transmission expossing the gears. If you want to get into that I have the OC 4 technical manual that gives the rebuild proceedures for the trans, diff and final drives. Send me a MP with your e-mail and I can scan it and send it to you.
DGH

Postby calvin innes » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:15 am

Yikes! It sounds like a real project! I have an OC-3.... is that fairly similar to the -4?
Cal
calvin innes

Postby DGH » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:17 pm

I was thinking this was an OC 46 loader, but if this an OC 4 tractor only it is a little easier in that you could remove the tacks, track frame and finals all in one piece. You can not do this on the loader as the loader frame will not allow the finals to come straight off, so you have to pull the axle shafts first. Still taking that all off in one piece is quite a job!
DGH

Postby calvin innes » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 am

What would happen if you were to lift the motor and clutch out? Could you come in from the front? It sure would be easier than taking tracks, etc. off.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby DGH » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:21 pm

You can not get in from the front. First there is a crossmember of the frame at the front of the transmission. Second, the only opening into the transmission is from the right side, and it has to be out of the tractor to get at it.
DGH

calvin innes- tranny info

Postby Donald Lehman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Calvin,

Just got the tranny apart on my OC-4. You do literally have to disassemble the whole rear end to get the tranny out. Don't remember the repair, but obviously the left final drive came loose sometime. the transmission housing has been welded and all the stud holes have heli-coils in them. So I guess I will be looking for a tranmission housing also. This one will do, but as long as I've got it apart, I'm going to replace it if I find another one. Reverse gear, reverse gear shaft and bushing are the only internal parts to be replaced. Left main drive shaft has has a couple of teeth welded an they have started to chip off, so another shaft is in order. All the rollers are in good shape. The front wheels need new bearibgs and/or bushings. Will have them apart shortly. All four trunions need to be replaced. Track suspension units need replacement or refurbishing. The blade leveler cylinder will be refubished by a local shop who specializes in that sort of thing. Internally the motor is in very good shape. Very little wear on the bearings. Rings are in good shape so the oil fouling on the middle cylinder has to be coming from the valve guides. At any rate the engine was dropped off at a local engine builder this week. Right now the whole thing is pretty well down to the bare frame. Gonna cost a few bucks, but in the end I'll have a top condition bulldozer that will last me as long as I live.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby calvin innes » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Wow! Yer really gettin' into it! I wish I had the time to spend doing my little OC-3 but I have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment. I am building a snowplow frame for the 4WD tractor here. (it is of the other color green) After that I have to get back to my carpentry project in the house. It is an old house and I am in the process of converting the old woodshed into a usable living space. It is all done but for the ceiling and that will be a raised wood paneling...Oy! And I keep watching out the window because I am sure the sugaring season is creeping up faster than Iwish to admit.
You should take pictures and post 'em here so we can see your progress. Glad to hear you are have sent the motor out for a rebuild... should have plenty of power after that!
Good luck with your project!
Cal
calvin innes

Postby Donald Lehman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Cal,
I know what you mean! I "retired" from full time work a year and a half ago because of permanent shoulder injuries. Will start drawing SS in a couple of months. Good grief, I don't know when I found time to work! Am finishing up a new living room and deck myself. The the boys and I are going to start refubishing the upper end of our barn that collapsed a few years back. Also have an old dump truck I wish to convert into a dump trailor. Got a new chickem coop and a lumber storage shed in the near future also. AND sugering is looming, plus the spectre of needing to cut 60 or 70 face cords of firewood for myself and my son is always lurking in the background, too. There is also the Honeydoo list. You know, the one that mysteriously seems to add four items at the bottom for every one you cross off the top? :wink:
This retirement business is proving to be rather busy. But, I'm working for MYSELF now. Makes it a whole lot more enjoyable.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby DGH » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Yes it all has to come apart to get into the transmission. The reverse gear and shaft are the weak point in the OC 4 transmission. For a field tractor it was Ok but a loader or dozer uses reverse alot so that was a comon failure. So when you do go to all the work to get in there you want to fix everything while you are at it.
DGH

Postby Donald Lehman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:17 am

Yeah, we used ours for some field work, but most of the hours on it is dozer work. Still, from 1958 to the late 90's before failure isn't too bad. I never ran the OC-4 that much, but as a youth 40 years ago, I remember not having a lot of patience waitng for everything to stop spinning so it would go in gear without grinding the gears. Ah, the impatience of youth!
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby DGH » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Gear grinding while shifting should not be a problem if the clutch is properly adjusted. All three release levers have to be adjusted to the proper height. The most important thing is that they are all the same.
If you need that measurement I can look it up for you.
DGH

Next

Return to Cletrac Forum