Oliver HG42 track orientation?

Forum for the discussion of Cletrac related topics.

Oliver HG42 track orientation?

Postby choppa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:37 pm

this may be a really stupid question, but I"ll ask anyway!

What if one were to reverse the direction of the tracks on a HG crawler?

meaning, put the tracks on with the grousers going the opposite direction.

Is there any real harm in doing so? I ask because it appears to be an obviuos way to extend track pin/bushing replacement times as the wear is only on one side of these pins/bushings (the driving sprocket tooth side).

Reversing the tracks would put the side with virtually NO wear back on the driving side of the sprocket teeth.

Does the pad, or shoe direction really matter? it seems like that would be the only reason one could not attempt this.... or am I missing something here?

again, seems like a really obvious solution to track cost pin replacement.
choppa

Postby calvin innes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:15 pm

The primary reason the pads are shaped the way they are and run in the direction they do is so that the soil will not build up in front of the grouser, reducing traction. Most of the grousers on these older machines are relatively worn anyhow, so reversing the tracks really will have no adverse affect on the machine itself.
IN dry conditions you would notice no difference, but in clay-type soils it will become a pain in the butt.
............Cal
calvin innes

Re:

Postby Andy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:19 pm

I wouldn't recommend it, but have seen it done. The better solution is to 'turn' the pins. if they haven't already been 'turned'. To do this, press the pin out, then rotate it 180 degrees, and press it back in, this can be done with the bushings as well. You can also switch sides with the sprockets. What all this does is to expose the unworn metal surfaces to the load side, thus extending wear before replacement is needed.
Take care,
Andy
Andy

Hg parts wanted

Postby q4016lanz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi guys i need some parts for HG left hand bullgear and cover etc in Australia if possible pleas John

q4016lanz

Re: Hg parts wanted

Postby 560Dennis » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:26 pm

q4016lanz wrote:Hi guys i need some parts for HG left hand bullgear and cover etc in Australia if possible pleas John

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/5064652560.html
560Dennis

Return to Cletrac Forum