RUBBER PADS? WHAT ARE ALL YOU TRACKED OWNERS USING?

Forum for the discussion of Cletrac related topics.

RUBBER PADS? WHAT ARE ALL YOU TRACKED OWNERS USING?

Postby choppa » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:19 am

I have seen flat pads used on each individual track, just high enough to put distance between concrete and top of grouser. (like the attached photo I found online)

Then I have seen this:

http://www.hartparroliver.org/phpBB2/mo ... _photo.php

what did these owners use for material? Where to get?

I am exploring a 1" thick conveyor belt material with high wear and tear resistance, and it comes in different widths. I have samples coming, but would like to hear what others have found to work well.

BTW.. this would be a working tractor. NOT a show tracto thats just driven off a trailer ontoa concrete showroom floor, so it has to be able to hold up under reasonable use.

thanks, Dave
Attachments
rt04_2k_rn_066.jpg
rt04_2k_rn_066.jpg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 10960 times
rt04_2k_rn_066.jpg
rt04_2k_rn_066.jpg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 10960 times
choppa

Postby choppa » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Seeing as there was no comment to my question, I thought I would give something a try....I needed something inexpensive... something locally avaialbe, cheap and easy to work with so as to build some sort of protective track pads with.

Using the man-made Trex material found at Home Depot/Lowes used for outdoor decking, I cut to lenght and width enough for my track pads. all holes are now drilled and ready to be installed. this stuff cuts nicelly, is some sort of plastic composite, so it appears as if , with light to moderate use, they will survive for a spell. Maybe better than I anticipate, but we will see.

If anyone is interested, Ill tell ya what I did, what I needed to buy, sizes etc to make it work.

NOTE: my intention, as of now, is to use these temporarily.. I need something to run on concrete, asphalt while I test drive this machine and work out some mechanical issues. After its delivered to my second home, where all i have is hard packed gravel and rock, , the pads will come off

Dave
Attachments
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG (501.23 KiB) Viewed 10857 times
IMG_5383.JPG
IMG_5383.JPG (565.86 KiB) Viewed 10857 times
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5384.JPG (551.46 KiB) Viewed 10857 times
choppa

Postby calvin innes » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:46 am

I will be interested in hearing hear how the Trex holds up. It is a composition of recycled plastic and wood fiber (sawdust?) I have worked with the stuff and am not certain it will stand up to the rigors that a grouser pad demands. I say give it a go. You won't know if you don't try it! :wink:
I always figured I would get some used payloader tires and cut them up with a sawzall. You might try used over-the-road truck tires too, but I am not sure they would be thick enough to stand above the grousers on the track. Check with a local tire dealer near you.The local tire dealer here handles a lot of heavy tires and always has a stack of old used stuff and I am sure they would be delighted to give them away.
Just my thoughts,
Cal
calvin innes

Postby choppa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Calvin.

I agree with your idea of using tire tread somehow. Thought the same as you, maybe over the road tire tread isnt tall enough.. Will see how this trex material holds up and report back.

I am only doing this as a temporary thing to use the tractor at home on concrete until I get it to my cabin with 100% gravel around.

I will be gentle on the turns while I have them on to hopefully prolong the life of them until so.
choppa

Postby calvin innes » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:05 pm

What machine are you using it on? Are you just taking it in at night, across the cement or are you working it in a barn?I have a 310 Case with a loader and it comes in around 11,000 lb.s and run that in and out of the barn on the cement and it really doesn't mar the cement much. The little OC-3 is only 3,300 lbs or thereabouts and neither will do enough to say so in my lifetime. I don't turn on the cement however.... . only straight in/straight out..... and the pads are all quite warn. Many years ago I used to run a 450 John Deere and used to run that straight in on the shop floor much to the irritation of the boss. :lol: If he was around I'd lay down 3/4 inch pine boards and put it up on that.
Cal
calvin innes

Postby choppa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:14 pm

PADS ARE GOING ON A SMALL hg42.. 3270 LBS

Yes, it will be parked in a garage with cement floor, but the floor is painted. This is my home garage where I will be working on this machine, running it in and out, onto a cememt driveway, to the cement street, to work out bugs in my restoration.

I need SOMETHING, even though they may not be so durable, for a little while anyway while its here. I cant be tearing up our home garage floor, our driveway or the city street!

Once I get it to its final home where I have a gravel base yard/drivway, they need NOT stay on the tracks.

However, will se just how long they survive! maybe Ill leave them on till they finally fall off!

Or, if they prove to be a good solution, take them off and seel/give to someone in my situation whan I am done with them.
choppa

Re:

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:06 am

choppa,

Those track pads in the photo are obviously made following directions I once drew up for a 'Tech Tips' article, several years ago. I had the same problem, and wanted to use an HG-68 in parades on public streets. The 1" conveyor belt was the material I used, as I recall I also made some examples of what could be done with wood, though not as durable, it will work. You might check to see if that back issue is still available. Another option is, since that time, Zimmerman's has found what appears to be trailer bumpers that they sell for this purpose, this has become popular, and is a bolt up solution to this problem.
Take care,
Andy
Andy

Postby choppa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:56 pm

THEY ARE WEARING FAST. Very fast.. I dont have much distance on them either!

I was at a tractor supply last month and noiced that they carried 3'x5' sheets of rubber, looks about 3/4" to 1" thick. I inquired about price, and they said 44 dollars or so (if I remember correctly)

This looks to be a much better alternative. Its my hopes I dont have this thing in concrete paradise for much longer, but better at my cabin where it will run dirt roads instead
choppa

rubber cleat treads

Postby Joe Tienstra » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Landis Zimmerman at Zimmerman Cletrac in PA has the rubber cleats; I think they run about $7 each, but check with him. I have them on my OC-3 and they work great on hard surfaces, but with turning the tracks will still disturb gravel and grass.
Joe Tienstra

rubber cleat treads

Postby Joe Tienstra » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Landis Zimmerman at Zimmerman Cletrac in PA has the rubber cleats; I think they run about $7 each, but check with him. I have them on my OC-3 and they work great on hard surfaces, but with turning the tracks will still disturb gravel and grass.
Joe Tienstra

Postby helitS » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:02 pm

I agree with your idea of using tire tread somehow.
Good life of peace

diablo 3 power leveling
<a>Diablo 3 Items</a>
<a>Diablo 3 Gold</a>
helitS

Postby Atif » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:49 am

I will be interested in hearing hear how the Trex holds up. It is a composition of recycled plastic and wood fiber (sawdust?) I have worked with the stuff and am not certain it will stand up to the rigors that a grouser pad demands. I say giv
Atif
Atif

Return to Cletrac Forum