OC 4

Forum for the discussion of Cletrac related topics.

OC 4

Postby Donald Lehman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:02 am

Have a 1958 vintage OC 4 (no reverser in the tranny) in my Fathers estate. One cylinder burns enough oil to foul a plug every few hours. The thing jumps out of reverse, otherwise I believe the tranny is okay. It needs new rear sprockets and the tracks are worn past the point of being able to pin and bush them, so it will need new tracks. About what is the thing worth? I would like to restore it myself. My siblings will require that i pay what it's worth, but I am not going to overpay either. Or should I simply call Zimmermens and sell it to them for parts? Thanks.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby djm75 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:45 am

You might want to call Landis and ask about how much this will all cost. I don't think I would pay much in its current condition because it is going to be pricey by the time you fix the trans rebuild the engine and get new tracks and sprockets and bearings. Personally I wouldn't give over $500 myself I have seen some with new undercarriage and run good for 2500-3000.
djm75

Your OC-4

Postby John Schwiebert » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:30 am

If this is a 1958 model it is a 3 cylinder model correct. I know you are in New York State. How far are you from CH? He parts out a lot of the little crawlers. He probably has good enough components that will last you as long as you have the crawler. Have you taken a compression test or a leak down test of the engine?
John Schwiebert

OC 4

Postby Donald Lehman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Yes it has the 3 cyl. motor. That's about what I figured it was worth. I am not familier with CH? Lowville is about 30 miles East of Lake Ontario in Lewis Co. Where is CH located? The idea that it would be simpler to swap with Landis for another one had crossed my mind. Most of my neighbors at the time had 420/430 JD crawlers. The JD's were okay, but not in the same league as the OC 4. No, Pop didn't run a compression or leak down test. The thing has sat long enough now that I would do a complete engine tear down anyway. The motor ran fine, didn't smoke much, just fouled the center plug every few hours. Other than the tranny not going into reverse, all the forward gears seemed tight and working fine.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

OC4

Postby Donald Lehman » Sun May 09, 2010 11:36 am

The apraiser put a value of $850 on the OC4. I can live with that. The main problem is to fix the reverse. Figger to pull the head and check for bad valve seals and such before getting into the whole engine. It ran and didn't burn that much oil so maybe it's something simple. The tracks and sprockets can go for a while if they have to, simply because they are already past the point of being able to pin and bush them. This will probably be a project for this winter. I did find the operators manual for it, so that will help. Always remember being able to do one heck of a lot of work with that OC4 for being a small crawler. Used to move some outrageously big rocks and built a lot of roads on the farm with that little tractor. Did a fair amount of plowing with a 2 bottom oliver pull-type plow when it was too wet for the 88's to get through.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby rainboy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:17 am

Hello,everybody.I am a newer here.I like to make friends.If u are the people that like to make friends too,just contact me.

ha-ha.

Postby Donald Lehman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Well ,after a lot of tooth knashing the OC-4 project is nearing completion. Motor rebuild is done. The crawler itself was more beat up than I originally thought. (So what else is new?) Seems like that's true for about any machinery project I get into. At any rate a few letters and phone calls to Zimmerman's took care of all the parts needs. Picked up the parts at Zimmerman's a bit ago. Had a nice talk with Landiss himself about all things Oliver and days gone by. Think we have everything rounded up now. It's just a matter of throwing all the parts in a big box, shake it up hard and see what falls out. :wink: Hopefully we will have it up and running by sugaring time, which is fast sneaking up on us here already. About the most expensive repair on the motor was getting the oil pump up to snuff. The engine guy said that for the age on the motor it was still in pretty good shape. Of course we rebuilt every inch of the motor from stem to stern. The crankshaft only needed to be ground .010. When I get done with this thing it will be basically a new unit except for the paint job.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Postby mmo2player » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:08 am

A number of the capabilities which generate items are prospecting, angling along with woodcutting. But training an art and craft is actually difficult operate. As an example, it will require time for it to educate you to ultimately acquire the more costly ores and also materials. An alternate way to gather things is to purchase them from other participants nevertheless, again, which takes income.
mmo2player

Postby hariseldon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:53 am

Donald Lehman wrote:Well ,after a lot of tooth knashing the OC-4 project is nearing completion. Motor rebuild is done. The crawler itself was more beat up than I originally thought. (So what else is new?) Seems like that's true for about any machinery project I get into. At any rate a few letters and phone calls to Zimmerman's took care of all the parts needs. Picked up the parts at Zimmerman's a bit ago. Had a nice talk with Landiss himself about all things Oliver and days gone by. Think we have everything rounded up now. It's just a matter of throwing all the parts in a big box, shake it up hard and see what falls out. :wink: Hopefully we will have it up and running by sugaring time, which is fast sneaking up on us here already. About the most expensive repair on the motor was getting the oil pump up to snuff. The engine guy said that for the age on the motor it was still in pretty good shape. Of course we rebuilt every inch of the motor from stem to stern. The crankshaft only needed to be ground .010. When I get done with this thing it will be basically a new unit except for the paint job.

That sounds like very good news :D
ddd
hariseldon

Postby Donald Lehman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Progress is going slowly. The mechanic is swamped with emergency calls now. But the under carridge is done and the motor is going in the crawler this week. So hopefully the thing will be done shortly. This has been a long drawn out project :? , but it will be worth it in the end.
Donald G. Lehman
Donald Lehman

Return to Cletrac Forum