help with identification

Forum for the discussion of Cletrac related topics.

help with identification

Postby OliverEducation » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:53 am

Hello Clectrac fans!

I had someone write me here at the Center for History from British Columbia asking about a Cletrac he has just purchased. I have posted two pictures he gave enclosed in his letter.

The gentleman that wrote me believes at the core of this tractor (without all the additional equipment) is a Cletrac OC3. He's not been able to find any manufacturing tags or serial numbers. However, he did say it had a 4-cylinder, 40 H.P., diesel engine of Japanese manufacture.

Can anyone identify the actual model of this Cletrac (if it is one)...and an approx. year? Parts still available?

Thanks everyone.
Travis Childs
Attachments
cletrac1.jpg
cletrac1.jpg (245.48 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
cletrac2.jpg
cletrac2.jpg (220.26 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
---------------
Center for History
part of The Museums at Washington & Chapin
808 West Washington
South Bend, Indiana 46601
(574) 235-9664
www.centerforhistory.org
Read the Oliver history online!
----------------
OliverEducation

Postby H. Deckler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Sorry, but to me the only thing that looks Oliver/Cletrac on that crawler are the track frames.
H. Deckler

Postby oliverdude » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:49 pm

The track assembly is from an OC-3 Oliver and I think the rearend is too by the looks of the steering levers. If the original engine is gone so is the serial number because most likely the flywheel housing has been replaced or altered as well. The serial number plate should be on the right hand side of the flywheel housing and in plain view if the original housing was used somehow.
The OC-3 was built until 1957 and parts for the Oliver parts are available from Zimmerman Oliver-Cletrac 717-738-2573, but I doubt they will have any engine parts.
I would be interested to know more about this crawler and what make the engine is. I think a Kubota would make a very nice retrofit in an OC-3 and this looks like it wasn't cobbled together.
oliverdude

Postby Former admin Chris L » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:03 pm

I'm surprises John Schweibert hasn't chimed in this one. Word is that Charles City kept building track frames after they discontinued the crawler line. I haven't found any proof to confirm this rumor, but maybe this crawler would do just that. More pictures of the drive train would really help.
Chris Losey
Former admin Chris L

Crawler notes

Postby John Schwiebert » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:26 pm

Chime in? Me? Chimes? Music? Not my thing. Yes they did make frames for Towner mnufacturing for about another 10 years. Why do I know that, well Agco had me contact them about 15 years ago (at least) to find an OC-4 owner some Hercules GO 130 parts. The guy at Towner explained that. Iwanted to get more into detail 2 winters ago and Towner (at least that Towner) is no longer in business and the man that knew all the answers to our puzzle is dead. Towner also did some industrial fabrication work for some Oliver products.
John Schwiebert

Postby OliverEducation » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:00 am

Thanks, guys, for your replies; I'll let the gentleman know what we found out.
Thanks!
---------------
Center for History
part of The Museums at Washington & Chapin
808 West Washington
South Bend, Indiana 46601
(574) 235-9664
www.centerforhistory.org
Read the Oliver history online!
----------------
OliverEducation

Postby jerry0503214 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:05 am

Sorry, but to me the only thing that looks Oliver/Cletrac on that crawler are the track frames.

Return to Cletrac Forum