2-85 frozen steering

A forum for the discussion of White tractors and farm machinery.

2-85 frozen steering

Postby wmthrower » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Went out today and started the 2-85. Let her warm up raised the loader, put in gear and tried to steer...wouldn't budge. I have 3pt hitch working, loader, clutch, brakes, but not steering. I have taken weight off of the front tires and get them to move a little but grabbing a tire and shoving on it. No movement in the steering wheel though and not more than a little in the front end. I can't see any leaks and I have enough hydraulic pressure on the loader to lift the front of the tractor as well as it ever has. 3pt hitch works as well as ever. Where is the problem?
The tractor is parked outside and when I last used the tractor about 2 weeks ago it steered as well as ever. I've tried to heat the steering shaft just under the steering wheel with a propane torch because I thought it might be frozen there. Nothing changed. Not sure where to go next. Any ideas?
wmthrower

Re: 2-85 frozen steering

Postby Sam H » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:25 pm

wmthrower wrote:Went out today and started the 2-85. Let her warm up raised the loader, put in gear and tried to steer...wouldn't budge. I have 3pt hitch working, loader, clutch, brakes, but not steering. I have taken weight off of the front tires and get them to move a little but grabbing a tire and shoving on it. No movement in the steering wheel though and not more than a little in the front end. I can't see any leaks and I have enough hydraulic pressure on the loader to lift the front of the tractor as well as it ever has. 3pt hitch works as well as ever. Where is the problem?
The tractor is parked outside and when I last used the tractor about 2 weeks ago it steered as well as ever. I've tried to heat the steering shaft just under the steering wheel with a propane torch because I thought it might be frozen there. Nothing changed. Not sure where to go next. Any ideas?

We had an 1855 Oliver that would do the same thing. We would dump some hot water on the bottom part of the steering column to thaw it out. Water had gotten down there and there was no way out. Finally got a small hole drilled through the side of the outer tube of the steering column near the bottom so the water could drain out.
Sam H

Return to White Forum