Hart Parr #3

Have a question about the HPOCA? Ask our club President, and he'll do his best to get you an answer. This forum is open to everybody.

Hart Parr #3

Postby John (C-IL) » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:05 pm

John, Are you going to take up where Terry Allen left off trying to get HP#3 to Charles City?

Unfortunately, I know more than I want to about the situation, but HPOCA's efforts have been blocked by one person and I'm not sure that there is anything that I can do about it.

I would like to see a discussion about who the principals are, what resources HPOCA has available, and where we go since our last proposal to the Smithsonian has been rejected.

John
John (C-IL)

Postby Wrenchbender » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:53 pm

Hi John,

Those are some very good questions!

I recently learned more about the #3 situation. My opinion was and still is, that it, #3, should go to the museum in Charles City next. Not because HPOCA had funded the project, but because that move made the most common sense. Where better than the birthplace for the tractor to be displayed ?

I know of the blocking efforts and don't understand the motives behind it. It seems that due process and the merit of applicants should determine the fate of the tractor, not "who someone knows".

I would like to see the application of the group that possibly will get the tractor next and be given an explanation as to why they were chosen.

I think a concerted effort by the members that believe #3 should go to Charles City might be the best plan of action. I am open to anyone's ideas in solving this problem.

John
Wrenchbender

Smithsonian Protocol

Postby Wrenchbender » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:54 pm

Here is the situation with the Old #3 tractor.

I spoke with Mr. Pete Daniel, curator for the Division of the History of Technology, Behring Center. The #3 tractor is currently on a 3 year renewable loan to the I&I club, Penfield IL. The I&I club has requested another 3 year loan. Being that they have the tractor now they are first in line for the loan.

Two other applications have been submitted to the Smithsonian. The first is from the Heritage Museum in Greenville IL. The second is from the Floyd County Museum, Charles City IA.

The protocol for the loan of the tractor is a first-applied, first-considered basis. This means that the I&I club will have the first chance at renewing their loan as long as they choose to and the Smithsonian grants their request. The next in line would be the Heritage museum and then Floyd County.

I hope this makes sense to everyone.
John Hume
Wrenchbender

Postby Oliver66 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:28 pm

John:

That is what they may be telling you now. If that was the proceedure before, Penfield would have never got Hart-Parr #3. The Floyd County Museum ( a real museum) had a request in before Penfield but was passed over because one of the head honchos at Penfield is best friends with the recently retired person from the Smithsonian who had charge of #3. This was an inside deal and something should be done about it. From what I understand the Heritage Museum in Greenville is nothing more than a glorified machine shed also not a real museum that really meets the Smithsonian's requirements.

Historically, these 2 places have no claim on #3 but Charles City does since it was built there. To many people #3 being at Charles City on display year round is a no-brainer. Hopefully my US Senator who is the chairman of the committee that handles the budget for the Smithsonian sees it that way also.

Maybe a little budget cut here or there might snap the Smithsonian back to reality and start following their own rules not the buddy system.

Marc Sletten

The statement above is my personal opinion and should not considered the opinion of the HPOCA even though I serve on their board.
Oliver66

Postby John (C-IL) » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:25 pm

Even Marc's explaination is an oversimplification of the facts involved in this case.

For the record:

Darius Harms is the I&I member and currently President. When I asked Darius if I&I had asked for an extention of the loan he was evasive, he did know that HPOCA had been rejected again.

Larry Jones is the ex-Smithsonian exec and still works for them on a contract basis as I understand it, particularly when it involves HP#3.

The Heritage Museum is backed by the HP#3 Greenville restoration team of Ollie Schaefer, Sherry Schaefer and John Tichnor and others.

I am a member of both I&I and HPOCA.

The wishes of Darius Harms concerning Hart-Parr #3 aren't necessarily the wishes of the I&I membership.

Terry Allen recently wrote an empassioned letter to the I&I club asking for support of the move of HP#3 to Charles City. That letter was presented half-heartedly to the board. I also lobbied the board on behalf of HPOCA.

Darius Harms, "Hart-Parr #3 will not go to Charles City as long as I have anything to say about it."

Most of the I&I board, "This is not our problem, it's between the Smithsonian and HPOCA, we don't want to be involved."

I think Marc's approach is the best in this case, if you know your congressman or senator get in touch with them and make a plea for the HPOCA case. Remember that the Smithsonian bunch are still bureaucrates, your congressman and senator needs your vote to stay in office.
John (C-IL)

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:07 pm

Hey Marc,
I like your approach. As I recall, Thad Cochran chairs that committee. My Senator is the Ranking Member though, and we can get support from other members of that committee, especially in view of the controversy surrounding the budget proposed by President Bush. In this environment every member of the appropriations committee will be scrambling to save their pet pig. Nothing is sacred! So, in order to be able to tell the folks back home their pet pig wasn't sacrificed, they will be more than willing to axe Smithsonian's allocation.
I also agree that #3 should go to the Floyd County Museum next. It is the place where it was built, and Iowa is the state where it spent its entire working life. I consider this museum to be capable to provide for proper climate control, fire protection, theft prevention, as well as other security issues. As this is all in place already. As to the other applicant, I am not so sure, but have driven past it, and have my questions.
Take care!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby 39LC » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:52 pm

Hey John,
What is the reason that Darius Harms is so vehament about Charles City getting No. 3? Does He have something against the owners?, or the HPOCA? Who got Him so riled up?
I met Darius at the Heritage Tractor ride a couple of years ago and He seemed like a really good guy with no axes to grind.
Maby We should let John Hume have a chance at talking reason with the Smithsonian reps. Threatening them and writing poison pen letters seems to me to be like choking a chicken to get it to lay more eggs.

Andy, if you have a question about the Heritage Museum, might be a good idea to stop in and take a look rather than forming an opinion while driving by at 65 mph.
I subscribe to the Heritage Museum, a truly not for profit organization that benifits all agricultural history. The museum is in its' infancy stages right now, with a bright and promising future.
Even though my contributions have been small to date, I am proud to be associated with the Museum and its founders.
Larry Coltrin
39LC

Postby Wrenchbender » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:35 pm

Hi Larry,

I won't comment on Mr. Harms, I don't know him. Maybe at some point I will get his position on #3.

I stated above what I found out from the Smithsonian. I might like to see the applications for the loans, but for now their decision has been made. If individual members want to petition their Representatives, they are free to do that.

I'm not giving up on the idea of #3 going to Charles City, I just think I need to focus on other issues right now.

John Hume
Wrenchbender

Hey Andy

Postby Cookieoliverman » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:36 am

Andy, since when did you become so concerned with the security of old #3.

Was only about a year ago, you were hollorin bout Ollie rippin off the club for outragious transportation costs, sayin there were hundreds of carriers comin outa the east empty that would have fetched that old girl back for next to nothing.

Now your goin on about climate control, thief control,and such, almost like ya thought it really does have some value now.(Not sure whether thats treasure value or just personnel value)

I agree 100% that the old girl should be in
Charles City, were she originated. Thats her proper home for sure.

Back stabbing and running down others facilities, whinning about this and that to whoever will listen and going over peoples heads surely wont expedite the process.
Cookieoliverman

Postby Andy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:09 am

Hey Larry,
Cops are bad around Greenville, 55MPH is about all that is safe there, I've heard a person could go faster, but, I don't trust someone who is aiming a radar gun at me. Gotta be a reason! There is no reason to stop, it looks like any other farm building, with nobody there. Since nobody is there every time I go past, is there ever anyone there? So, since I have this question, it is normal that I would have concerns. There is a federal prison within a couple of miles, which releases felons into the community, persons who have proven to society they can't be trusted, this adds to my concern. As far as being a member of a local museum, I don't have to go out of state, or more than one county away for that, we have two within an hour drive from here. Neither would want #3, both are more orientated to steam and would rather take care of their steam engines, which can be really time consuming. This is really a back burner issue, as President Hume noted, there are bigger fish to fry at this time. But, I still have multitask capability, even though I feel a little older with each passing day. I am more concerned on getting a paper trail on the little tractors, then crunching some numbers. As I am sure you know, every shipment is invoiced, most have a bill of lading. That is a good starting place. From there I am interested in stock control and accounting. Honestly, I wish I had never heard of #3, it has been the most disruptive issue in many years. But, since I did, it is something that should be dealt with. Maybe some day the Smithsonian will decide to display it, then everybody can fuss, no more bickering.
Have a great day!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby 995Lugmatic » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:31 pm

Here's my two cents. I think the Smithsonian should take it back and put it on display and be done with it. Then if we want to see it, we go see it. Here is why I think so...like Andy said, #3 has been a HUGE fiasco. It has caused lots of unnecessary stress within our club, raised questions that there seem to be no clear answers to, and we now have the whole toy thing to deal with. Now that it is restored to its original glory, I say put it back in the museum and let it be. I am not necessarily worried about someone stealing the big fella, but I am concerned with vandalism, and WAYYY more worried about the idiot that swerves in front of the transport truck carrying #3 which then swerves to avoid killing said idiot, gets off the side of the shoulder, and rolls down a ditch, subsequently destroying the thing which we are so dilligently trying to "protect!"

Extreme? Maybe. Crazier stuff has happened.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"
995Lugmatic

Postby 995Lugmatic » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:36 pm

Oh, and that would relieve the "winner" of the three venues trying to gain custody of this thing of any glares or whispers or accusations from the other two.

"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"
995Lugmatic

Hey 995 Lugamatic

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:07 pm

I can agree with that. This #3 thing reminds me of a 26 years old gal that thinks she is my girlfriend, and keeps pestering me to death, and getting in the way of other adventures. Both are fine lookin' and great arm candy, but I don't have a whole lot in common with either. I call her 'Bad penny', 'cause once I think she is gone, she keeps coming back around! I wonder, can I call #3 'Bad penny II' ?
The only concern I have with #3 is the members money has been spent on it, that gives the members a vested interest. Don't think for one minute that if I don't look after my members interests they won't take me to task!!!
Have a great day!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby edchainsaw » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:56 pm

LOL andy --- I would like to take bad penny off your hand for a while.. LOL
just awhile
EDDIE

...now that the election is over, may not all, having a common interest, reunite in a common effort, to save our common country?
A. Lincoln 1864
edchainsaw

Hey Eddie,

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:12 am

That would be fine by me!!! Maybe once she got to Indiana she would get lost and can't find her way back. I tried to get my nephew to take her to Kentucky with him, but he wouldn't do it because she was drunk, but he did ride her around town in his car for a while. She is tall and slim, looked good riding with him. I thought maybe I had lucked out and he would take her. But, she put Hip Hop on his radio, and he wanted nothing more to do with her, especially when she passed out in his car, leaving that junk on the radio. David has musical tastes common with mine, country, bluegrass, and southern rock and roll.
Take care!!!
Andy
Andy

Postby John (C-IL) » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:45 am

How did we get from Hart-Parr#3 to The Dating Game? LOL

Andy, That's WAY TOO MUCH information to share on this Forum. LOL
John (C-IL)

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:12 am

Hey John,
I'm glad someone got a chuckle out of that!
Sometimes there are things that I thought had been dealt with and will go away. Sometimes they come back to haunt me. Sometimes I wish they wouldn't do that! And, these are both two things that have done this. Sometimes it is better to plow!! Problem being it is too wet to plow, and much of my plowing is done!!! But, I would go back and plow what I have already done if I thought it would make any difference.
Have a great day!!!
Andy
Andy

Hey Andy

Postby Cookieoliverman » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:46 pm

Being alone isent really much fun. Its great to have a good partner to share with.

Maybe if ya could just get Penny off the bottle, and sobbered, she probably wouldnt want to listen to the hip hop crap and would take a shinin to good ole bluegrass and such.

Than ya could get her to do your plowin while your away truckin, or better yet let her wheel the big rig while you play with the plow.

Heck, i bet even Harley Dawg prays that his master could find such proper happiness in life.

Have a good one!!!
Bob
Cookieoliverman

Hey Bob,

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:12 pm

In a perfect world things are, let's say, perfect. But, this is not a perfect world. Mom had to eat crow on this one, she was excited when Andrea started coming around all the time, like she usually does when gals are hanging around my place. Then she started to learn how Andrea is, and sort of don't want her around. I don't either, there are plenty better in them thar hills. So, I nicknamed Andrea, 'Bad Penny' because she keeps coming back around. Sometimes the price that must be paid is just not worth what you get for it, with the little sanity I have left, I can't afford to spend that. Especially in light of there being better that I can just keep for a while, then let them go away, besides, at 52 years of age, I have gotten accustomed to doing as I please, without asking permission. Single life fits me well, most folks it doesn't. My single friends mostly are happy being unattached. A phenomenon with my married friends is most divorce at some time, not all but most, when that happens they immediately seek another spouse, most times being married again in a year or two. I'm pretty happy just being by myself, well, I like having Harley Dawg around. Harley Dawg don't like 'Bad Penny', never has, I probably should have payed more attention to him when she started coming here, he either wants out, or goes to a different room. If I call him, he well go straight to the door, he doesn't like to be in the room with her, which seems really strange to me, he will usually make up with women, wanting petted.
Have a great day!!!
Andy
Andy

Problem solved!!

Postby Canada Grant » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:19 pm

Andy : Drop off Penny at edchainsaws to look after the calf and dog while he goes to Moline !! :D Of course you could aways forget where he lives on the way home :twisted:
Canada Grant

Hey Andy

Postby Cookieoliverman » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:35 pm

Andy, your home brew wouldnt have anything to do with the opinions expressed by both Harley Dawg and your momma on poor Penny, would they??

Come on Andy, there is more to this than your sayin, dont be holdin out on us now. She just might be a victim of a poor batch of bourbon, whatya think??

Have a good one: Bob
Cookieoliverman

Re:

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:37 pm

Hey Grant,
Let's see, edchainsaw's real address is RR2 Port Elgin ON, right?
I still don't see where that would work, about a month ago, one night I sent Bad Penny into a convenience store to get cigarettes, soon as she got out of sight, I was gone, durned if she didn't beat me back to my house, asking me if I had forgotten to wait on her. I am not going to spend time to encourage her, when I want that problem to go away!!!
Have a great day!!!
Andy
Andy

Re:

Postby Andy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:02 pm

Hey Bob,
The gal who had Harley Dawg before me got him dead running drunk one time when he was a puppy, he was funny, couldn't walk, rolling around on the floor, and that was with beer. Since then, he won't get near any kind of alcohol. Mom has never had a drink of any sort of alcoholic beverage, though she did have a mini stroke a couple of years back.
Yeah, I'm holding back, but let's not get too graphic! Big mistake, don't take strange chicks to your house, that is what motels are for, and whenever they ask for a phone # I'll tell them 519-662-9073!!!
I don't think it is bad bourbon, there is no such thing, maybe bad rye!!!
I don't really like when someone cleans my house to find original Hart- Parr literature in the trash can, then hear the explanation, 'I thought you would like me cleaning the old magazines from your filing cabinets!'. Well, I don't like it!! Well, I must prepare to contribute to the betterment of our association, seriously, I need to get to Florida, so I can get back to go to Louisville and Moline! I wish there was a week or two between the events, but, I can deal with hectic scheduling, knowed the job was dangerous when I took it!!!
Hey, have a great day!!!
Andy
Andy

Hey Andy

Postby Cookieoliverman » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:33 am

I didnt mean that your dawg or momma had been in your home brew, what i was leanin more towards was the notion that your home brew was a direct result of poor Penny's behaviour.

Feel free to pass the phone # about as ya please, drunks can be funny to talk to sometimes,maybe they even like olivers.

Have a nice trip to florida and get home safe. (Andrea will be lonely)

Bob
Cookieoliverman

Postby Keith M. » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:35 am

I'm not in favor of I&I getting #3 again.

As of now the HPOCA itself does not have a facility for #3. The board has shown it can't even market a damn toy without screwing it up(sorry John but you are the only thing that has changed). HPOCA has no business lobbying any body for anything at this time. Just let it go.

I do believe Ollie, Sherry, and John should be considered next. They put all the work into restoring #3. Like it or not they got the job done, If they can get the proper facility, let them have it for 3 years. HPOCA BOD chose to disassociate itself from THEM. Let them have their day in the sun. They deserve it.

After their 3 years just maybe the BOD will get its head out of its backside on this matter. If you would work harder on our clubs stated goals, get our own museum going, then worry about where #3 is located
Keith Martin
Keith M.

Next

Return to Ask the HPOCA President