Oliver 88 questions to determine the original

Forum for the discussion of Oliver related topics.

Oliver 88 questions to determine the original

Postby Jhock » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:38 pm

Hello Larry,

I found this email address on a forum for Oliver tractors. I'm looking to restore what I believe is a 1953 Oliver 88 row crop. I have several questions because I have noticed many things that do not match up.

1. Serial number location. The serial number is on a plate on the left hand side of the center column, not on the left hand side of the frame below the brake pedals. Is this an alternate location? I have attached a picture.

2. The serial number is 3503092, which is why I believe it's a 1953, however the rear wheels are green not red. My grandfather purchased this tractor new and to my knowledge never painted or replaced the rims. What color should they be?I have attached a picture.

3. The air filter sticks up through the hood in front of the exhaust. I haven't seen any pictures that depict this set up. Was this an option or has this tractor been modified from the original factory state?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
Jhock

Postby John Schwiebert » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:55 am

The location of the serial number plate changed sometime in 1952. Your plate location is correct and it is indeed a 1953 model 88 tractor. It should have red wheels. Oliver had a kit later on to move the air intake above the hood. It may be a kit was added or like at the dealership I worked at we made up our own kits,
John Schwiebert

Postby Jhock » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks for the information. I also have a 1952 88 that is a gas. The engine in the diesel is a 3.8L Waukesha and the gas is also a 3.8L Waukesha. Will the diesel engine fit into the gas tractor? I'm hoping to make one good tractor. I was hoping both the gas and diesel have the same bolt pattern for the frame and bell housing.
Jhock

Postby John Schwiebert » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:12 pm

Yes the engines will switch since the blocks are the same, HOWEVER the bell housing and the plate that it bolts to is not the same on a gas and diesel. Does the diesel run? IF not you need to make some checks before you even turn it over by hand. Send me a P-M with your phone number.
John Schwiebert

Return to Oliver Forum