Hydra-lectric

Forum for the discussion of Oliver related topics.

Hydra-lectric

Postby Sean D » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:04 pm

Does anyone know the real problems with hydra-lectric systems? I've been told by about everyone I've talked to, it's pointless to try to make it work. As advanced as Oliver was on everything else, I find it hard to believe they would have stuck with a system for over 20 years and 4 model changes (super, 1000, 50 and 55) if the problems were that bad. I've picked up a couple of the larger plow type 3 pin cylinders and one smaller 4 pin (Super 88 cultivator I'd guess). I reciently picked up a real nice late 56/7 Super 88 with two hydra-lectric control valves. Of coarse the wires have been cut just like the ones on my 1550 and both 1850's. I see I can get the harness from Korves. While at Maibach's I've looked at the micro switches a little in the upper housing of a 50 series. Is it just the parts you can't get? Was the design truly flawed out of the gate? I'd really like to make it work, even more so since the consensus is, forget it. Sure would be nice to make this 565 plow work as it should!!!!!

Thanks

Sean
66oliver1850@gmail.com
Sean D

hydralectric

Postby nutbuster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Sean, My dad bought a new 88 diesel row crop in 1950. It was equipped with the Hydra-lectric system and worked very well on his 4 row cultivator.
He also used it on his 3 bottom plow. I recently restored that tractor and ordered the new harness from Korves and though I don't have a cylinder to try it on, it looks very original.
nutbuster

Return to Oliver Forum