88/Super 88 clutch problem

Forum for the discussion of Oliver related topics.

88/Super 88 clutch problem

Postby nutbuster » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:40 pm

I used a Super 88 Diesel engine in the restoration of our 1950 "88". When depressing the clutch pedal, the fork appears to hit the fingers on the pressure plate before releasing the disc all the way. It will release enough to shift the transmission but have to grind gears if stopped. Is there a different length throwout bearing carrier between the two? Also, the clutch adjustment is at the end of the threads on the pedal rod.
nutbuster

88 clutch adjusment

Postby chucksoliver77 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:26 pm

Nutbuster, You may have your clutch adjusted wrong, take the left rear side cover off and with the tractor in neutral and not running reach in a crab the trans input shaft and pull the clutch pedal down and notice where the pedal is when you can spin the shaft. the pedal stop should be about 3/4-1" from the platform. If it is any more than that it will cause the problem you seem to be having. I think you actually pushing the clutch in to far causing the problem. Chuck
chucksoliver77

clutch adjustment

Postby nutbuster » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:59 am

Chuck,
I am unable to find a stop screw for the clutch pedal on my "88". Even though the fork is hitting the pressure plate fingers, the disc is not fully disengaged. Thanks for your reply.
nutbuster

88 clutch adjusment

Postby chucksoliver77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Nutbuster, There is a tab on the bottom of the clutch pedal that hits the platform that you put your feet on when driving the tractor. when this tab is 1" away from the platform the shaft should turn freely and not before. When you depress the pedal is there any free play before you can feel increased resistance? If the clutch is not adjusted like this you will have the problem you are complaining about. been there done that. Try adjusting it like I say and see what happens, Chuck Go over to the Oliver forum on yesterday's tractor and post your question. I can post a picture there but not here.
I think the throw out bearing is pushing the pressure plate fingers so far forward that they are hitting the clutch plate causing it to spin when fully depressed. Start the tractor and drive it a little in say 4th gear just above idle, then slowly push the clutch in till the tractor stops ( probably about half way down) then push it down all the way and notice if the tractor tries to move.
chucksoliver77

Postby diederg » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Is this a new clutch pressure plate, or used, or rebuilt? Did you check the clutch fingers on the pressure plate after installing it to the flywheel? I wish I could remember the distance, but they should all be equal. If it was a rebuilt it may these adjusted.
diederg

Postby diederg » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:48 pm

If I would proof read before submitting the last sentance would make more sense. They may have to be adjusted, sorry 'bout that
diederg

Return to Oliver Forum