Hydraulic getting in axle

Forum for the discussion of Oliver related topics.

Hydraulic getting in axle

Postby chryslerfat » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:21 pm

I have an 1800A that is getting hydraulic fluid in the rear axle. What is causing this and what does it take to fix it?
chryslerfat

Postby John Schwiebert » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 am

Most likely the seal on the draft control signal rod is leaking. You can test this by removing the PTO assembly and then look for oil leaking by the signal rod. Now here comes a second thing to look at. If your tractor is one of those 1800 models that had a hole drilled in the transmission case so the oil would not transfer from the rear to the front transmission case or the other way your front seal on the hydraulic pump could be bad. No doubt Boellners down the road in Maumee will have all the parts you will need. More questions?
John Schwiebert

Postby chryslerfat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:31 pm

Not sure about the hole drilled? Mine is one of the last 1800 A`s built as it has the larger carb and hydraulic controlled power steering. The serial shows it as a 1962 and it does have a hydraulic hose looped between the trans and axle fill holes rather than a plug in each. I do know filling the trans it will flow though into the axle.
chryslerfat

Postby John Schwiebert » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:56 am

O. K. What if you remove that hose, make sure the oil level is up to the opening and then put pipe plugs in the 2 holes. Will the final drive still fill or will the hydraulic oil fill the front compartment. Somebody added the larger carburetor and manifold.
John Schwiebert

Return to Oliver Forum