Click here to return to the Hart Parr Oliver Collectors Association Home Page The Hart Parr Oliver Collectors Association
The HPOCA forum and discussion boards, your Hart Parr, Cletrac and Oliver Tractor and Farm Equipment Resource.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oliver Superior Manure Spreader Parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hart Parr Oliver Collectors Association Forum Index -> Oliver Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmayes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Oliver Superior Manure Spreader Parts Reply with quote

I have an Oliver Superior Manure spreader and when the spreader was at its fullest, the rear apron shaft broke in half. I'm trying to get the two apron chain drive sprockets off the shaft, however, after being on there for 50 years, they are on pretty tight. Anyone have any idea where I might be able to get those sprockets. The sprockets have 7 teeth and are about 5" in diameter. The chain on the spreader is a 67H.

Thanks for any replies,

Bob Mayes
John Schwiebert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Sprockets. Reply with quote

Have you heard of the bees wax trick? Also where have you checked for sprockets? Do you know what model spreader you have?
bmayes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bees wax trick - No. Can you fill me in on the bees wax trick? I've looked over the internet for most of the weekend with no luck. I did speak to a local metal fabrication shop today. They felt they could 'press' the sprockets off the shaft, then use a piece of carbon steel bar stock, key the new shaft and re-attach the removed sprockets. Supposed to let me know the price on Tuesday. The only markings on the spreader plate is 'Oliver Superior' The serial number starts with a '7 - '. Don't know if this helps or not.
John Schwiebert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Bees Wax Reply with quote

Heat the sprocket hub till it is adull red. Then take a candle or some other wax product and let it melt into the hub. You may need to do both sides of ewach sprocket. Is there a casting number on the sprocket?
bmayes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The casting number is SL 94
bmayes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to provide a solution to my problem. Since Oliver spreader parts are no longer available, I sought out a custom metal fabrication shop in Columbus OH. They were able to get the sprockets off the shaft and clean then up quite a bit. Second, they ordered a 1 1/8" shaft, re-keyed the shaft and the sprockets and re-assembled everything. The work to remove the sprockets, re-key, sand blast and repaint the old sprockets was $350. All told, I have about $650 total invested in the spreader ($300 to purchase as an auction and now $350 to repair). Have been using the spreader for 3 years with little or no problems. Now, I know, not to use the spreader to store manure if the temps drop below freezing for a couple days. Good luck to anyone with Oliver spreader issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hart Parr Oliver Collectors Association Forum Index -> Oliver Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: